No Hi-Fi Quad DAC for USA market

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I still don't really understand why LG has made different SKUs with different featuresets depending on market.

Shouldnt every G6 come with wireless charging and an improved DAC?

Extremevl

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Extremely disappointing...

Wireless charging

Only the US version of the LG G6 will support wireless charging. LG described its decision to make this feature a US exclusive due to local consumers' love for this charging solution. G6 users sporting a non-US unit will have to resort to wired charging like it's 2007. At least Quick Charging 3.0 is present on all units - a minor consolation price!

Hi-Fi DAC

LG G6 with Hi-Fi DAC on board for high-quality audio will only be sold in South Korea and select other Asian markets. Again, LG claimed that this move was necessary due to the local consumers love for higher quality audio. Again, this data is coming from a research LG made on its own.

Other differences

The LG G6 that hit the shelves in South Korea, Asia (except Optus and Telstra models in Australia), India, and CIS (Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Russia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, and Uzbekistan) will come with 64GB of native storage, whereas the rest get a measly 32GB. A dual-SIM G6 will reportedly make an appearance in select markets later on, too.

From what we can gather, there doesn't seem to be a G6 unit that simultaneously features both a Hi-Fi DAC and wireless charging. There is no info on a possible subsequent release of such a version of the phone, either. We can't lie - as much as we like the G6, we find LG's marketing strategy a bit disappointing, especially in this regard. The G6 would have been a way better phone if it came with all the features in the all the markets it's going to be available on.

Don't fly like an LG G6: only US models will get wireless charging, only Asian ones will get Hi-Fi audio

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Shows you how out of touch LG executives really are (the ones left over from the mass firings from the G5 debacle). Every person you see walking down street has earphones plugged in. Streaming music is vital and just as important as the camera in today's market. To include this in one market, and not the remainder, is just foolish.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I do understand (i think) where LG is coming from. They want to try keep the overall cost of the device down so they only provide certain features for counties because they use those features more?

Maybe if the device had the QUAD DAC and Wireless charging and 64GB storage and 6GB RAM or whatever, the price would be higher. Hmm, it's tough. I would say to LG that they should continue doing this 'segmented' rollout of different features, but at least provide one central place where anyone in the world can purchase a G6 with all the bells and whistles. (World Phone) )

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
They're not thinking about the minority who want the high quality DAC. They're targeting the majority of users in the US that don't care

-Myk-

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Is this really going to make that much of a difference for someone who just makes calls, listen to music over the 3.5mm, and bluetooth?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Does this have anything to do with LG bei g unable to get the DAC friend for the G5 certified for the US?

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Agreed, they need a reason for people to buy the V30--but they need a BIGGER reason for people to buy a G6 over an iPhone.

Give them a headphone jack AND a quad DAC, give it to them on both the flagship V (think iPhone Plus) and the next tier down G (think standard iPhone, non-Plus), and market the hell out of it. Take no prisoners. "No headphone jack? Bluetooth only? How are you going to hear ALL the music? You need an LG!"

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Agreed, they need a reason for people to buy the V30--but they need a BIGGER reason for people to buy a G6 over an iPhone.

Give them a headphone jack AND a quad DAC, give it to them on both the flagship V (think iPhone Plus) and the next tier down G (think standard iPhone, non-Plus), and market the hell out of it. Take no prisoners. "No headphone jack? Bluetooth only? How are you going to hear ALL the music? You need an LG!"

If you're going to market on DAC, you'll need to market a high quality source as well. Most streaming services aren't it.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
They had me until I saw that. Asia market will have the DAC, but not USA or Europe. Big failure right there. The G5 was terrible with audio and my V20 sounds so good (as was the V10) . I'm not even an audiofile junkie, I just remember how terrible the G5 audio was when I owned it.

PSA: Not all LG G6’s are created equal - Android Authority

This is somewhat expected. The V20 is considered the power user's phone, costs $799.99 unlocked. The G6 is marketed towards the average consumer who simply wanted a beautiful and waterproof phone, with wireless charging, costs $599.99? (at least I hope so).

Very disappointed, but at least the upside you can always get the V20.

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand the OEMs sometimes why not create a phone that has equal features everywhere? do they believe people are going to buy 2 phones to get all the features?

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
If you try a G5 phone and the V20 on the same source, you will be blown away. Its not just clarity, even though that is much better. Its the greater bass, volume, and richness of the sound that is better. Its like listening to a sound system without a subwoofer, and then plugging one in.

When I had the G5, I even tried subscribing to Tidal with its premium service to get that phone to sound decent. Poor phone just didn't have it.

I just think if you are going to try to survive against Samsung and Apple, you better bring your A game on all fronts.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Not talking about streaming services here. I'm talking about locally stored music.

...That's what I'm saying. If the marketing message talks about high-quality audio, it will also need to address how to get high quality audio.

croaker68

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillPlayGames