NoLED vs BLN

jnl813

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Alright so i keep hearing and reading about this BLN app from the market ( you have to be rooted to use it). I am currently using NoLED with custom icons, but the reason why I am tempted to try BLN is simply because I think it would use less battery to display.

While NoLED uses the screen even with a black background its still the screen ( on)! 99% of our phones used more power for the display than anything else, so this is where I am at.

Although the only reason I dont want to try BLN is simply because the 4 touch buttons on the Nexus S suck!! They are way to low for you to see them on at daylight or even at your desk.... anyone else tried BLN or both in the past that could give us your honest opinion?

belvedere

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
It's all just personal preference. The only way you're gonna really know is if you try it out yourself. And FYI, BLN is a built in feature for custom kernels and the BLN app is just used to control different aspects of it. There is a paid version of BLN control with a few more options, one of which I believe is blink control (versus constantly on) and I have mine set to be off 3 seconds and be on for 1 second.

Having said that, I've used both and did not like how NoLED functioned. From what I remember (haven't used it in a while) it seemed to bypass the lockscreen and using the buttons just wasn't my style (I think I had to press Home to get back into my phone).

The one thing I guess some people don't like about the BLN function is that there isn't really any differentiation between what you're being notified about - ie. text message, e-mail, calendar event, or some other app. This doesn't particularly bother me because I don't see the big deal in spending the half second to unlock my phone and see what was missed.

As far as "battery drainage," I don't see how BLN would be any more or less than NoLED given the total life of a single battery charge. I would imagine even if you didn't check your phone for several hours, most of your battery "drainage" would be from other standby processes before BLN/NoLED. I also don't have too much trouble seeing the lights 'flashing' as I have them set. I'm sure if you're outside during a bright day, I'm from Florida and can relate, they would be very hard to see. Certainly a downside, but I can live with that.

But anyway, just give it a try yourself. My personal preference is BLN but to each their own.

DeathsArrow

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I prefer BLN. There's some wonky stuff with NoLED that I don't like. You are correct though, the buttons aren't that bright. I still notice them even in my office since it's set to blink on and off. Depending on your brightness settings I'm not sure you'd notice NoLED outside either though.

jnl813

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
It's all just personal preference. The only way you're gonna really know is if you try it out yourself. And FYI, BLN is a built in feature for custom kernels and the BLN app is just used to control different aspects of it. There is a paid version of BLN control with a few more options, one of which I believe is blink control (versus constantly on) and I have mine set to be off 3 seconds and be on for 1 second.

Having said that, I've used both and did not like how NoLED functioned. From what I remember (haven't used it in a while) it seemed to bypass the lockscreen and using the buttons just wasn't my style (I think I had to press Home to get back into my phone).

The one thing I guess some people don't like about the BLN function is that there isn't really any differentiation between what you're being notified about - ie. text message, e-mail, calendar event, or some other app. This doesn't particularly bother me because I don't see the big deal in spending the half second to unlock my phone and see what was missed.

As far as "battery drainage," I don't see how BLN would be any more or less than NoLED given the total life of a single battery charge. I would imagine even if you didn't check your phone for several hours, most of your battery "drainage" would be from other standby processes before BLN/NoLED. I also don't have too much trouble seeing the lights 'flashing' as I have them set. I'm sure if you're outside during a bright day, I'm from Florida and can relate, they would be very hard to see. Certainly a downside, but I can live with that.

But anyway, just give it a try yourself. My personal preference is BLN but to each their own.
Thanks for the quick reply and you know what I am going to try it out myself right now and will be back with my thoughts.

What is the biggest difference between the free and paid version?

belvedere

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply and you know what I am going to try it out myself right now and will be back with my thoughts.

What is the biggest difference between the free and paid version?

The biggest difference, to me, is the ability to make the backlight flash but this is taken from the Android Marketplace -

Free:
== Features: ==
* enable/disable the BLN function
* adjustable timeout of static led notification
* update notification (new BLN app, liblights or kernel releases)

Paid:
== Features: ==
* enable/disable the BLN function by:
* app
* locale plug-in
* scheduler (disable BLN at night, ...)
* widget
* adjustable timeout of static led notification
* update notification (new BLN app, liblights or kernel releases)
* locale plug-in(s) to toggle statuses of:
bln, blinking, scheduler, static led, notification led
* blinking**:
* select the time of led-on/-off interval
* select total blinking duration (5-60 minutes or unlimited)
* select led status after blinking ends(on/off)
* stop blinking if battery is below a selectable % level
* adjustable timeout of static led notification after blinking
* adds led notifications to:
* phone app (missed calls)

jnl813

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Great thanks, so I just downloaded it and emailed my self, and wow.... this is a great Idea and app just not for the Nexus S. It would be great fora phone with bright buttons. I thought maybe I would notice the lights at my desk bu way no how, maybe you would have to train your eyes for this but I dont see that happening with me. Thanks for your feedback though.

:cool: <--- it would be harder to see it with sun glasses on like this guy

its_miller_time

May 19, 2010
Visit site
So, pardon my ignorance..but does this app work with the stock rom (just rooted) or do I need to use a custom ROM? (I like stock and am not comfortable flashing a new ROM [Yet])..

belvedere

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
So, pardon my ignorance..but does this app work with the stock rom (just rooted) or do I need to use a custom ROM? (I like stock and am not comfortable flashing a new ROM [Yet])..
It's actually reliant on the kernel. But in a nutshell, you need to root to get any use of the BLN control application.