Non-root tether suggestions?

jldanaher77

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
My job takes me in the field a lot but when there is down time I work on reports and surf the web on my iPad. I use FoxFi wifi tether off my galaxy nexus. From reading post I understand that this set up will no longer work for me once I get my N6 in a week. I am needing help or suggestions on a work around with either USB / BT or wifi tethering. I am on Verizon and still have unlimited. Any help would be appreciated.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Clockwork Tether doesn't require root. You have to load a program on your PC/Mac to connect it. App is $5.

This is USB tethering, which Foxfi already has. I believe the OP is referring to a non-root WiFi tether option, but I don't think that exists for the Nexus 6. Rooting is currently the only way to achieve that.

pete1118

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
I have a N6 direct from Moto and the stock Android tethering function works just fine. I also found an app produced by AT&T called AT&T Allaccess that gives you access to the Wi-Fi hotspot and also tracks your data use in a widget. I am on the mobile share plan so this may not work with older plans. The app does impose a restriction on extended characters in the Wi-Fi password for some reason but other than that seems to work well.

Fahrenheit

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
The OP mentioned wanting a USB or WiFi tether app. Like the OP, I'm on Verizon with Unlimited. That plan doesn't come with tethering; it has to be purchased separately. I just tried enabling tethering and it said I have to order it.

To get around it, you have to root, load something like clockwork tether, pay for the service, or move to one of their new data plans (losing unlimited).

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
The OP mentioned wanting a USB or WiFi tether app. Like the OP, I'm on Verizon with Unlimited. That plan doesn't come with tethering; it has to be purchased separately. I just tried enabling tethering and it said I have to order it.

To get around it, you have to root, load something like clockwork tether, pay for the service, or move to one of their new data plans (losing unlimited).

Right, I'm in the exact same boat. I use Foxfi to USB tether to my laptop whenever I'm out and about. Since he mentioned iPad, I'm not sure you can USB tether in that way.

jldanaher77

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Right, I'm in the exact same boat. I use Foxfi to USB tether to my laptop whenever I'm out and about. Since he mentioned iPad, I'm not sure you can USB tether in that way.
Needing it for my iPad, and I'm not finding any android usb to ipad lighting connection. I don't know how to root or I would if I knew what I was doing. At this point looks like I'm screwed.

Fahrenheit

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't say screwed. You can root and load a tether program, purchase tethering from Verizon, or change your Verizon plan to one with metered data and tethering included.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't say screwed. You can root and load a tether program, purchase tethering from Verizon, or change your Verizon plan to one with metered data and tethering included.

Yep, that's pretty much the three options right there. A fourth option would be to switch to a phone that still supports Wifi tethering with Foxfi, via this list. It looks like the Galaxy S5 and LG G3 are the most recent phones that still have it. However, those are still on Kitkat, so not sure if it'll change when they receive 5.0 Lollipop.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Rooting is not terribly difficult, however you will lose all your data, apps, etc. You need to be prepared with proper backups of anything you consider important.

Kwdan

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
How hard is it to root? What is the chance of bricking it?

Do it! It's really simple and you can add tethering and nothing else. To avoid "bricking" read all you can before and ask plenty of questions. Those guys/gals will offer plenty of assistance. The process only took me 3 minutes, but like they said.. Back up all your stuff first. You can add so many other features after that.. Dt2w,privacy manager.. So much! Do, but read first

jldanaher77

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I've been looking but so much info I don't know who to trust. As far as data mine is due to arrive Thursday so I wouldn't be losing anything import. What links did you follow? What all is involved? Like I said I'm new at this and have no idea and I really don't want to throw away $850. Thanks.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Do it! It's really simple and you can add tethering and nothing else. To avoid "bricking" read all you can before and ask plenty of questions. Those guys/gals will offer plenty of assistance. The process only took me 3 minutes, but like they said.. Back up all your stuff first. You can add so many other features after that.. Dt2w,privacy manager.. So much! Do, but read first

Just keep in mind that a rooted phone loses all the protections that a simple PIN offers if the phone should be lost or stolen.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
So far as I know, the \data folder of a rooted device is completely open to anyone who knows how to use adb.
I think you meant Bootloader unlocked, instead of rooted. Rooting isn't going to let anyone get at the \data folder (unless the user installs a malicious app and give it su permissions)

With the encrypted storage on Nexus 6, as long as the user is using a pin, the bootloader being unlocked isn't going to let ADB get at the encrypted data without the pin.
Besides, nothing is stopping a user from locking the bootloader after rooting (assuming they are ok with wiping the data when they unlock it the next time)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erinrustick71