Noob...looking for ROM/Kernel/easy customizations

Keekers11

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I'm new at this and I'm trying to do as much research as possible (7+ hours so far) to find out what ROM/Kernel I should try.

I've been looking at the dictionaries, all the how to threads for noobs, etc. I don't need something too fancy. I'm just looking for something w/good battery life and some other fun customizable options. I would love to try some themes and custom soft keys.

It seems like people are nicer on this forum than others (SO MEAN there). Hopefully my question isn't too stupid. Just trying to learn the swing of things! Any help will be appreciated!

(Samsung Galaxy Nexus)

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
best bet either cm9 or AOKP aokp has a lot neat stuff to it. If your all ready rooted with cwr then its as simple as dl the rom plus the gapps package go to recovery back up current set up then install from SD card by looking for the rom u dl after u flash rom go back in install from SD look for your gapps package flash those then reboot that's it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Keekers11

mraviator

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I was in your position a few weeks ago. Decided to go with AOKP. Could not be happier. It offers plenty of customizable options. But you don't have to mess with that if you don't want to (but you will ;-)). Just flash it, you won't regret it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Keekers11

Keekers11

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you! I noticed there are quite a few versions of AOKP. Does anyone have a link or the model number?

I'm so excited! :D

Do I need to download the Franco kernel with it?

Last edited:

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
I spoke too soon. Do you have any links? The downloads are everywhere...lots of different versions.

Either go to aokp.co or download the app goo manager from the play store. As for francos kernel just give him 3 bucks and download his app. Well worth it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus by way of Tapatalk

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
So what does the Franco kernel give me over the default one I'm running with B36?

For me it seems to make my phone run WAY faster and smoother and I noticed a huge increase in battery life. Like I said before well worth $2.71. Should mention that I am in no way affiliated with franco nor his app. Just a huge fan

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus by way of Tapatalk

Keekers11

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I love it...not as hard as I thought it would be. THANKS!! I'm so excited :)
Now onto the kernel... :)
I can already see a lot of fun things to configure!!

mraviator

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
For me it seems to make my phone run WAY faster and smoother and I noticed a huge increase in battery life. Like I said before well worth $2.71. Should mention that I am in no way affiliated with franco nor his app. Just a huge fan

Thanks for the feedback. Will the app do the initial kernel install or is it only used to keep the Franco kernel updated? I'm a tad nervous messing with the kernel...

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. Will the app do the initial kernel install or is it only used to keep the Franco kernel updated? I'm a tad nervous messing with the kernel...

When you download the app, open it and you get 2 general choices - auto-flashing or downloading the zip (so you can manually flash) The auto-flashing is harmless and recommended.

For franco's own kernel, you get 2 choices as well - stable/milestone releases and nightly/experimental releases. When you download either (either by getting the zip or auto-flashing), you have the choice of 384 GPU (stable) or 512 GPU (sometimes not stable, depending on your device). I suggest the former; if you want to fool with the 512, do so at your own risk but it's been known to get a bit wonky.

If you have other kernels you can still use the app; it's a great CPU manager, and its color controls are second to none IMO. It's a fantastic app made by one of the best devs out there IMO.

As for roms generally, right now you can't beat the AOKP + franco kernel setup, at least in my book. There are variations of it, but AOKP got out to such a big lead--even over old favorites CyanogenMod--that I find it hard to believe that any dev/group will usurp their status anytime soon.

That being said, the CM9 official nightlies are pretty good; stable, fast, but lacking in features (at least compared to AOKP).

mraviator

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I've been running the Franco kernel for a few days now. I'm quite impressed with the battery life improvement over AOKP's default kernel. Nice! And thanks for the help/info!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AMPRO