Noob selecting carrier for international needs

ffy2

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi all! I'm new to the forum and to smart phones. My job requires me to travel internationally a good bit and I'd like to go with a carrier that allows me to easily add SIM cards from other countries when I'm overseas. As a result, I'm pretty sure I won't go w/ an iPhone so that i don't have to go through the hassle of jailbreaking it.

Reading through the forum, it seems like some carriers (e.g. Sprint, Verizon) requires you to request an unlock from them with various conditions like having an account for 90 days, not being allowed to do it again for X amount of time, etc. Are there any U.S.-based carriers who do not have stringent requirements like that?

I appreciate your help w/ a noob! Honestly, for my situation, choosing a phone is secondary to choosing a convenient carrier.

cpaight

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
You can purchase a phone that's already unlocked, like the Nexus 4 or any of the Google Play editions, and not have to worry about carrier restrictions. Otherwise, see what carrier is going to work best for you and just call to see what their SIM unlock policy is.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi all! I'm new to the forum and to smart phones. My job requires me to travel internationally a good bit and I'd like to go with a carrier that allows me to easily add SIM cards from other countries when I'm overseas. As a result, I'm pretty sure I won't go w/ an iPhone so that i don't have to go through the hassle of jailbreaking it.

Reading through the forum, it seems like some carriers (e.g. Sprint, Verizon) requires you to request an unlock from them with various conditions like having an account for 90 days, not being allowed to do it again for X amount of time, etc. Are there any U.S.-based carriers who do not have stringent requirements like that?

I appreciate your help w/ a noob! Honestly, for my situation, choosing a phone is secondary to choosing a convenient carrier.

Welcome to the forums!
Taking the post by cpaight a little further, you may have the best luck with buying the Nexus and using a prepaid carrier like TMobile. Probably would be best to call and make sure you can do what you plan to do, but as far as I know, any GSM carrier (TMo, AT&T) should be able to accommodate you.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the forums! There's some great suggestions provided - let us know what you decide to do, we'd like to hear about it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

ffy2

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Appreciate everyone's help. I'll do some more digging about carrier policies and will update w/ a final decision.

ffy2

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
According to Verizon chat rep, if i buy a 4G phone and have a plan w/ them, will allow unlimited overseas local SIM usage. That's huge!
According to an AT&T chat rep, i can't use another country's SIM unless i finish out my 2-yr contract first. That would be a deal breaker!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
100RNR