Not ANT+ in Note 20 Ultra

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
After 10 months of owning this phone, I just discovered that my Note 20 Ultra doesn't support ANT+ despite all the specs everywhere saying it does. That is, there is not ANT+ hardware, and you would have to use a USB ANT+ dongle. This is particularly strange since ANT+ is supported on the Note 10, S20, Note 9, Note 8.... I ran ANTester to verify and sure enough, there is no ANT+ hardware to support this protocol. I'm not sure why all the spec listings out there continue to show that it does support it. Is it possible that the US version does not, but other versions do?

Anyway, for those who don't know, ANT+ is just basically a wireless protocol not that dissimilar to Bluetooth but it's primarily used to transmit training data - like heart rate, cadence, and power. There are advantages in that unlike Bluetooth, ANT+ devices can connect to multiple devices simultaneously whereas Bluetooth is more of a dedicated 1 on 1 connection.

So, I can't believe I didn't realize all this time I was using Bluetooth LE to connect to my HR monitor, and not ANT+.

Just posting here in case someone knows something that I totally missed. Still puzzling how this phone doesn't have that support whereas all the others Notes and Galaxy (post 2013) by Samsung do.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
After 10 months of owning this phone, I just discovered that my Note 20 Ultra doesn't support ANT+ despite all the specs everywhere saying it does. That is, there is not ANT+ hardware, and you would have to use a USB ANT+ dongle. This is particularly strange since ANT+ is supported on the Note 10, S20, Note 9, Note 8.... I ran ANTester to verify and sure enough, there is no ANT+ hardware to support this protocol. I'm not sure why all the spec listings out there continue to show that it does support it. Is it possible that the US version does not, but other versions do?

Anyway, for those who don't know, ANT+ is just basically a wireless protocol not that dissimilar to Bluetooth but it's primarily used to transmit training data - like heart rate, cadence, and power. There are advantages in that unlike Bluetooth, ANT+ devices can connect to multiple devices simultaneously whereas Bluetooth is more of a dedicated 1 on 1 connection.

So, I can't believe I didn't realize all this time I was using Bluetooth LE to connect to my HR monitor, and not ANT+.

Just posting here in case someone knows something that I totally missed. Still puzzling how this phone doesn't have that support whereas all the others Notes and Galaxy (post 2013) by Samsung do.

Typical Samsung "Drink the Purple Cool-Aid... it will taste good!" marketing?

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Typical Samsung "Drink the Purple Cool-Aid... it will taste good!" marketing?

It's really odd. Everywhere from PhoneArena to all other sites that describe the specs say that it supports ANT+. Then you find out that it actually does not and the S20, and Note 10 do.

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
When I read your initial post above I recalled seeing ANT+ apps on my Note 20 Ultra. Downloaded the ABTtester app and this is what I have found.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210619-065825_ANT Tester.jpg
    Screenshot_20210619-065825_ANT Tester.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 35

kixfan

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I just checked mine and it has Ant Radio Service on it under apps. Mine is a US carrier version on AT&T bought directly from Samsung. Until now I had no idea what it even was or did but it is there.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

My unlock Note 20U didn't come preloaded but can download from play store

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes, you can download the service, the plugin, but it won't work unless you have the built-in ANT and firmware like in that screen shot above. Having the service just means that you have the drivers installed, but it still won't work without the built-in firmware. Otherwise, you will need to also down the USB package so that your phone could support ANT+ via a USB dongle.

I am curious about the above screenshot. @Bosbouer It obviously shows you have the hardware (since you have the built-in ANT and firmware) whereas my Note 20 Ultra does not. Whos is your carrier (or is it unlocked) and which region is this? If you have it then it seems like there either are some that don't have it, or have it intentionally disabled. This is more interesting that the Note 20 Ultra is not listed on the list of ANT+ supported devices (despite it being included in the specs everywhere). https://www.thisisant.com/directory/filter/~/60/~/

Here's mine. Sorry for the size. lol!

9bc2f63ab9de371f3902b4f06d2d929e.jpg

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
International model unlocked exynos on Vodacom in South Africa. Did have to download the ANTtester app to make the test and provide proof.