Not good news............Thoughts?

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I just rooted my Droid X, and enjoying it even more. Now I hear this:

"Perhaps the worst part of the whole situation is that this exploit has been patched by Google. Starting with 2.2.2, AOSP has been fixed to halt this exploit, and with Gingerbread it no longer works at all".

So now, if I understand this correctly if we get Gingerbread pushed to our phones we will not be able to root? My understanding is that this is the exploit used to root.

:':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)'(

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I am already rooted and only run ROMs so it wont effect me if they patch it, I cant even remember what the last official I ran was.....maybe the official that was on the phone when I got it :)

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I read that article as saying that apps being able to unknowingly root someones phone, and or unknowingly subscribe to services would somehow be blocked...not rooting over all.

Having said that, and being a rooted user myself, even if they took rooting away, there still no other platform I would want in a phone. Androids are awesome as is, and just a little bit cooler when you root them, but it's not like rooting gives you the ability to fly or be invisible. What would you do...go to BlackBerry or iPhone?

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I read that article as saying that apps being able to unknowingly root someones phone, and or unknowingly subscribe to services would somehow be blocked...not rooting over all.

Having said that, and being a rooted user myself, even if they took rooting away, there still no other platform I would want in a phone. Androids are awesome as is, and just a little bit cooler when you root them, but it's not like rooting gives you the ability to fly or be invisible. What would you do...go to BlackBerry or iPhone?

The way I understand, it is the same exploit used by Z4root, and other root applications to gain root. I love Android and would not consider going back to BB (been there) or Iphone. I was just enjoying being able to freeze bloatware, and wireless tether. Just kind of bummed now that I took the plunge and rooted.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
The way I understand, it is the same exploit used by Z4root, and other root applications to gain root. I love Android and would not consider going back to BB (been there) or Iphone. I was just enjoying being able to freeze bloatware, and wireless tether. Just kind of bummed now that I took the plunge and rooted.

Yeah, I love those same things, but I think we need more info. It seems contrary to Google and their love of openess for them to remove the ability to root. I don't think they even like the idea of all the bloatware carriers put on their OS.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
We will never loose root. Im just throwing that out there but I can see a phone not having root. If the files are in the phone someone will get to them.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Dirty Ders

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Yah, I haven’t noticed anything about this on Google’s android website.

I have heard rumors that new generation phones will inhibit rooting. If you think about it, rooting is only bad for the carriers. I agree that it is contrary to Google and their open source OS. I would think by blocking root, it would severely limit a developer’s ability to create an app.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Its a given, the manufacture and Service Provider will continue to try to lock things down and a developer will always figure out how to get around the restrictions, devices are getting rooted even before the devices are getting released these days so I would not show concerns at this point.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Z4 root might not work but give it a week or two and there will be a root. Might not be one click but still rootable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcj001