Not granfathered into 4G?

rutkind

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
I like many others will be buying a Droid Bionic tomorrow, so I called Verizon today to see if just maybe I could pre order the phone which they told me they were not doing.
I was then told that they were not grandfathering 3G unlimited users to 4G unlimited. Was the Verizon agent on the phone wrong or have things changed?

Being that LTE is not available yet in my area til early next year I need to really decide whether it will be worth it for me to lose unlimited data for metered data that I can not use the fastest speed of if this is true.

Any one here this same story?

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Lol, I hope you can work it out. That's exactly the reason I got the Tbolt before they changed the plans. I'll buy at retail if that's what it takes to keep my data.

ST_Jim

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
My understanding is if you're a current smartphone user with unlimited data you can be grandfathered. If you're a feature phone user with unlimited data (any of those left?), you won't be.

I'm a Storm owner. When I go to order a Bionic online I get a popup which claims I have to change data plans. But it will allow me to keep the unlimited data plan checked instead of clicking on one of the new plans. And it seems to take it, although I haven't placed an order yet.

jgfan1972

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Grandfathering works when upgrading to 4G as long as you are on a VZW plan with a smartphone. I received my Bionic today and was unable to activate it as I am still on an Alltel smartphone plan. I have been told that it is a rare situation but still no 4G for me.

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
2 questions:
Is the only way to be grandfathered in is to buy the phone at full MSRP? If you get a new contract, the unlimited data will no longer be offered?
Also, will those who have unlimited 3g have unlimited 4g with the new phone, or will they only receive 3g speeds with the unlimited data plan?

LHKJohn

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
If you have an existing unlimited data plan, youre grandfathered in. Was going to upgrade my wife to a Bionic from the og Droid a few days ago and the rep said she would keep her unlimited plan, but she decided to wait for the next iPhone... Ugh

Tapatalkin' from my Atrix'd out DROID X2

darkrisen

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Ok you guys just made me a bit nervous. I have a blackberry storm 2 and my wife has the LG voyager I think is the name. I signed us up a while back for a family share plan that has 1400 minutes, unlimited texting and unlimited data. Are you guys telling me that when I upgrade her to a new smartphone she will not be grandfathered in even though I signed us up for this plan specifically for that reason?

Super_Mario

Banned
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Ok you guys just made me a bit nervous. I have a blackberry storm 2 and my wife has the LG voyager I think is the name. I signed us up a while back for a family share plan that has 1400 minutes, unlimited texting and unlimited data. Are you guys telling me that when I upgrade her to a new smartphone she will not be grandfathered in even though I signed us up for this plan specifically for that reason?

Exactly, she will need to choose from one of the new data plans.

darkrisen

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Just called verizon and confirmed this to be true. Really pissed off right now and im really going to be considering switching carriers after this.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I upgraded two of my phones to the Bionic. I was grandfathered in on both of them and have unlimited data.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

wyseguy77

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
You guys are awesome! I now know I'm stealing my wifes upgrade and getting the Nexus Prime when it's available! Thank you all!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bule