Not happy at all with LTE on this phone

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Let me say that like others I get tremendous LTE speeds, 100+ mb when at home or work. It's faster than my home cable connection.

However, having said that I have had two experiences this past week that were very disappointing. It's connectivity, or lack thereof. I attended a concert at the Hollywood Bowl and a football game at the Rose Bowl. In both cases I experienced long periods where there was "no network connection" which made my Internet connectivity useless. That wasn't so bad at the concert but I rely upon my phone at the Rose Bowl for stats and to watch other games live during timeouts and at half time. This phone just wouldn't connect most of the time. Once connected web pages took many minutes to load. It was a horrible experience.

I've used prior Notes in both these venues and never had a lick of trouble. In fact, I often watched video in the Rose Bowl last year on my Note 8 with much larger crowds in attendance. It wasn't the coverage either, as people around me had no trouble watching videos and bring up stats and scores.

So, I have to ask: Have others had similar problems? Is this the nature of this phone? Or, did I get a lemon? Should I replace it?

knowledge775

Aug 15, 2018
Visit site
Let me say that like others I get tremendous LTE speeds, 100+ mb when at home or work. It's faster than my home cable connection.

However, having said that I have had two experiences this past week that were very disappointing. It's connectivity, or lack thereof. I attended a concert at the Hollywood Bowl and a football game at the Rose Bowl. In both cases I experienced long periods where there was "no network connection" which made my Internet connectivity useless. That wasn't so bad at the concert but I rely upon my phone at the Rose Bowl for stats and to watch other games live during timeouts and at half time. This phone just wouldn't connect most of the time. Once connected web pages took many minutes to load. It was a horrible experience.

I've used prior Notes in both these venues and never had a lick of trouble. In fact, I often watched video in the Rose Bowl last year on my Note 8 with much larger crowds in attendance. It wasn't the coverage either, as people around me had no trouble watching videos and bring up stats and scores.

So, I have to ask: Have others had similar problems? Is this the nature of this phone? Or, did I get a lemon? Should I replace it?
In my experience, when I am at concerts or any major sporting events my LTE coverage is spotty no matter the phone or carrier.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
What carrier?

This is Verizon. The Rose Bowl spent millions a couple of years ago upgrading the infrastructure for cell phones. I had no troubles on the Note 8, Note 7 (for a couple of weeks), S7+, and Note 5 in prior years even before the infrastructure upgrades.

anon(20964)

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I hate mine too. 46Mbps up and down is just garbage. I loved my Note 8 though - basically got the same speeds. Did notice when I'm in large venues though - the data throughput was spotty at best. I didn't do speed test but data loading was slow. I simply put the phone in my pocket and enjoyed the venue.

Rob Hall4

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
This is Verizon. I recently switched over and one of the things the rep said that at large events when usage is high, speeds will be reduced, even down to 3g speeds. I wouldn't blame it on the phone unless you verify things.

gnote2tmo

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
honestly my note 9 rules over my note 8 LTE speeds. every test by sites and YouTube said the same thing. where before I was getting 20 Max im getting 40-50 easily, same spot

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
This is Verizon. I recently switched over and one of the things the rep said that at large events when usage is high, speeds will be reduced, even down to 3g speeds. I wouldn't blame it on the phone unless you verify things.

I won't argue that large events are a challenge. What I'm saying is this phone is flat out pathetic compared to its former generations. Back to the Note 2.

My purpose of starting this thread was to see if it was just my phone. I could still exchange it under the warranty.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Trusting reps is bad :p.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You mean it's not secret that all carriers throttle service when usage is high?

Remember they weren't the first do that so.....
Maybe but it's no secret Verizon throttles service when usage gets high. It's why "unlimited" is really limited where consistant high speed is concerned.

jlangner

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
I won't argue that large events are a challenge. What I'm saying is this phone is flat out pathetic compared to its former generations. Back to the Note 2.

My purpose of starting this thread was to see if it was just my phone. I could still exchange it under the warranty.

I let you know this weekend. Going to a Bama game with 100,000 friends. :)

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I hate mine too. 46Mbps up and down is just garbage. I loved my Note 8 though - basically got the same speeds. Did notice when I'm in large venues though - the data throughput was spotty at best. I didn't do speed test but data loading was slow. I simply put the phone in my pocket and enjoyed the venue.

This tends to happen at large events. Basically, if you have a solid connection but slow data, you're probably dealing with the network not having enough capacity for the number of users accessing data at that moment. Basically you get queued until it's your turn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21