Not receiving texts. VZW blaming GB update

TekNiKal

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I was hoping for some help here. My wife is no longer receiving text messages. She can send, but cannot receive. She called VZW and they told her it was due to the Gingerbread update. The problem is that she updated her phone on the 8th, this problem didn't start until the 13th. They advised her to factory reset her phone. That did not work.

I was curious to know if anyone else is experiencing not receiving texts since the Gingerbread update. Also, does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this since tech support cannot. We all know that texting is a very important component of our daily communication. We need this problem corrected ASAP.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
That's bizzar. My wife is stock and got the update - no issues. You say you've alrady done a factory reset. have you tried turning airplane mode on and then off?

draken

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
No problems here. I've had the low space warning for quite some time (even before GB), and recently it said I needed to clear up some space in order to receive messages again. If that was your problem, the factory reset should have resolved it. Is she able to reach the internet to verify her data connection is working properly? Is "Background Data" and "Auto-sync" selected in Menu->Accounts & Sync?

TekNiKal

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
We have not tried turning the Airplane mode off and back on. The Auto-Sync should be enabled. She factory reset her phone. What's more weird is that we both have Incredibles. We updated our phones at the same time on the 8th. I have have no issues with my update except Voice to Text not working. The not being able to receive texts is a huge issue. I will have her check both of these suggestions and get back to you. Thanks for your help.

Artisanthe

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I have updated several Dincs for Friends.....with Almost no issues. Having said that, I have seen where Calendars, Games and a few other Apps were a bit "off?" after the Update? To solve this, I merely went to the Market and downloaded the Latest version of the Application. If the Developer is on top of his game, he will have a build Optimized for Gingerbread.

So.....my first thought is.....is your wife using a different App for Text..(like HandCent) than you are? If so, visit the Dev's site and/or email them about the problem. In the mean time....of course you can try Updating your Apps with "My Apps" in the Market under "Menu". Or....if you Are using a Text App.....try Uninstalling it to see if your/her Phone will receive and send Texts with the Stock Onboard App.

There are Apps such as WaveSecure and Lookout....as well as Many others that will Back Up your SMS Conversations so that you don't lose anything.

Let us know your progress and Best of Luck....D

Dubbin1

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
My daughter is having the same problem. Verizon is sending her another phone, they claim it can't be fixed and a new phone is the only solution.

TekNiKal

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Auto-Sync was enabled. Turning Airplane mode on and off didn't work. I will tell her to uninstall Handcent and see what that does.

TekNiKal

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
My daughter is having the same problem. Verizon is sending her another phone, they claim it can't be fixed and a new phone is the only solution.

How many times did you all have to call before they decided to send her a new phone. We've called five times over three days.

TekNiKal

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Auto-Sync was enabled. Turning Airplane mode on and off didn't work. I will tell her to uninstall Handcent and see what that does.

I forgot she factory reset the phone. Handcent isn't on her phone anymore. So there is some sort of a back end server issue or her phone is broke. A new phone should be VZW's next resolution.

KiDoVa

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
My husband got the update about a week ago also and suddenly yesterday he cant receive texts. He went to verizon and they could not figure out the issue....I hope someone comes up with a solution soon.

KiDoVa

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site

How old is your phone? The phone we have is a year and half old....I dont think they will be willing to send a new one since its so old

TekNiKal

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
How old is your phone? The phone we have is a year and half old....I dont think they will be willing to send a new one since its so old

My wife's phone is just over a year old. Outside of the warranty. They will not send her a replacement. They are telling her she is going to have to buy a phone. That is an unacceptable response from support. Its the update they sent out that broke the phone.

Last edited:

coastalcarolina

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
This is extremely odd that a factory reset is not fixing this issue.

Have you tried connecting your phone to your PC and formatting the SD card and internal phone storage?

Also, did you try the factory reset option from the bootloader menu to see if that made any difference?

Hold down the "volume down" button at the same time you turn your phone on. Choose "factory reset" from that menu and see if that helps. Also try the "clear storage" option from the same menu and see if that helps.

TekNiKal

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
This is extremely odd that a factory reset is not fixing this issue.

Have you tried connecting your phone to your PC and formatting the SD card and internal phone storage?

Also, did you try the factory reset option from the bootloader menu to see if that made any difference?

Hold down the "volume down" button at the same time you turn your phone on. Choose "factory reset" from that menu and see if that helps. Also try the "clear storage" option from the same menu and see if that helps.

I have only done the factory reset through the Menu->Settings->SD & phone storage->Factory data reset. But I did erase the internal storage and the SD card as well. I will try the factory reset through the bootloader like you suggest and see if we have any luck.

My thoughts were to download the manual update for 2.3 or even roll back to 2.2 and see if she could receive texts again. I'll let you all know how it goes.

coastalcarolina

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I have only done the factory reset through the Menu->Settings->SD & phone storage->Factory data reset. But I did erase the internal storage and the SD card as well. I will try the factory reset through the bootloader like you suggest and see if we have any luck.

My thoughts were to download the manual update for 2.3 or even roll back to 2.2 and see if she could receive texts again. I'll let you all know how it goes.

I would def try the manual 2.3 Gingerbread update here:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-droid-incredible/116534-ota-gingerbread.html#post1222770

Something may have gone wrong during the flash of the OTA update you received.

Regardless I would still factory reset the phone again with the different method, either before or after you do the manual GB update.

Dimitrie

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
My daughters Inc has the same issue.. For over a week. On Monday... Went to the local verizon store.. Was ther for a good two hours.. Did all the trouble shooting at home.. Prior...Reset , clear data.. Etc... We did it in store as well.. Was on phone with tech support at the store... From htc.

Turns out there are many Inc who won't take the gingerbread update.. They put a trouble ticket.. On it.. Waited till today.. No answer from verizon, called them up.. They looked up the trouble ticket...

Htc has ordered replacements on all these phones... Verizon said they no longer have the Inc.. So there sending out.. Dinc2!

Verizon and Htc is aware of the problem... Call them.. Resets will not work !

Good luck.

TekNiKal

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
VZW called my wife and told her they are gonna send her an Incredible2. Factory reset from the bootloader didn't work either. Thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like my 5yo has his own phone to play games on now. No more borrowing mom and dad's.

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I want a Dinc 2! Can I claim mine is broken due to gingerbread update even though it is rooted and running MIUI with LP? :)

Just kidding. Like the Dinc 2, but I am in love with my Dinc. I will never part with this phone. I'm sure VZW is gonna take the broken Dinc back. Whenever they replace a phone, they want the old phone returned.

KenA

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I was a little over my one year factory warranty, and they still swapped out my phone (same text problem). If you get a good rep, VZW customer support is great!

xcb

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
What's your secret? My phone is out of the warranty period and not getting texts. Just called Verizon and rep couldn't help me with a replacement. Talked to the manager also and they couldn't do anything except offer me a upgrade that wouldn't affect my contract and $10 credit since I haven't had service since Monday.

Will see if going into a store will help.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayyub21