Not the usual tethering question...

gijoecam

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Got a bit of a different tethering question for the collective. I upgraded to an SGS3 from a Nexus S4g. The ns4g still works for everything but phone use, as long as it's on a Wi-Fi connection, of course.

With that in mind, is there a way to tether the ns4g to the GS3 via either WiFi or Bluetooth so I can use it as a GPS with Google maps or any other map app? Not interested in routing the GS3 at the moment, though I see it in the not-so-far-future.

I figure there has to be a way, and it can't be all that difficult. Thanks!

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Got a bit of a different tethering question for the collective. I upgraded to an SGS3 from a Nexus S4g. The ns4g still works for everything but phone use, as long as it's on a Wi-Fi connection, of course.

With that in mind, is there a way to tether the ns4g to the GS3 via either WiFi or Bluetooth so I can use it as a GPS with Google maps or any other map app? Not interested in routing the GS3 at the moment, though I see it in the not-so-far-future.

I figure there has to be a way, and it can't be all that difficult. Thanks!

Yes, I believe foxfi will tether via Bluetooth.

gijoecam

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm just curious: Why not just use maps and routing on the S3?

Because I already have a car mount for the Nexus (which won't hold the GS3), and it's more convenient to leave the GS3 free to use to send and receive calls without blocking out the GPS... Plus it repurposes the old NS4g.

gijoecam

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Tried it tonight... got some bad news and some good news.....

Foxfi didn't work on its own. On the GS3 it was fine, but without an internet connection, it wouldn't start up the Bluetooth DUN on the NS4G, which got me thinking that it was probably trying to act as the hotspot, not like a 'slave' device.

So I did a quick search, installed pdanet for tablet on the NS4G, and it connected flawlessly via Bluetooth!

Happy camper here! Thanks!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad