note 10 replacing laptop?

IAmDuck

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,
I am new to Android and to Samsung (just got a Note 4 switching over from iPhone). I am also in the market for a new laptop...maybe.

I'm wondering if a tablet with a bluetooth keyboard could be my new "laptop." What I'd need and use my laptop/tablet/two-in-one for:
1. Web surfing (facebook, hulu, various websites)
2. Google apps (drive, docs, calendar, gmail)
3. Productivity (wunderlist, calculator)
4. Photo storage (not really editing) from my camera and phone
5. Work email (outlook/exchange)
6. Music (google play)
7. Compatible/file transfers from my Note 4

It needs to be light and portable as I'll be using it for work (I'm a teacher) and travel from classroom to classroom.

So, I'm looking at: Surface Pro 3 (big bucks) v. Samsung Tab 10 w/ keyboard v. Chromebook.

Thoughts?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If that list is the only thing you'll be looking to do, then yes, a tablet could definitely take the place of your laptop. The Surface is a really capable device, albeit a little thicker than most, but at least it provides the full Windows experience.

In a Chromebook you get almost as much, but with the Chrome OS. Both have an advantage over tablets: TRUE MULTITASKING. An Android tablet on the other hand, is quite portable and allows you to run the same apps you already use in your phone, making it the most compatible (especially if you're looking to stay in the same Samsung family). The touch interface takes some getting used to when using as a laptop replacement, and although the Note family does have a certain degree of multitasking, it's still not as versatile as a Windows machine.

enigmax

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
So, I'm looking at: Surface Pro 3 (big bucks) v. Samsung Tab 10 w/ keyboard v. Chromebook.

Thoughts?

As it was already said, all those can be done with a tablet.

But Samsung Tab is a differend product than Samsung Note.

Sent from OPO.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The Tab S 10.5 has a larger screen and it's AMOLED technology, whereas the Note 10.1 has a slightly smaller screen and it uses LED tech for the screen. Of course, the Note line has the S-Pen, and the Tab S does not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crowoverhoe