Note 20 Ultra upgrade option with SD card?

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I'm still using the Note 20 Ultra 5G, and it's hanging in there, but I'm curious about what upgrade options there are right now. It looks like none of the newer Samsungs have SD card slots, and max memory of 512gb, is that right?
Are there other Android options with either an SD slot or more memory?

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Pretty sure the higher end Samsungs go up to a Terabyte, as do some competitors. I think the only biggish manufacturer who are still clinging to the microSD card are Sony, if you are in the US at least.

Reactions: BerryBubbles

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Oh, I see the S23 Ultra comes with a 1 TB option. When I talked with Verizon today they told me 512 was the max. Either she was mistaken or they don't offer the 1TB...?

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Carrier version don't always offer all the options the manufacturer makes. Colors, and memory options specifically.

I never understood why they don't have at least all the memory options. It's not like just because some of us would rather go through a carrier, we won't need the higher capacity options.

Doesn't seem to be an issue with iPhones.

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I do too. Can I go the route of buying an unlocked phone direct from Samsung and staying with Verizon? It would be way more expensive, and I'd only do it if my Note 20 died at this point. But if it's an option it would be a possible way forward.

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
I do too. Can I go the route of buying an unlocked phone direct from Samsung and staying with Verizon? It would be way more expensive, and I'd only do it if my Note 20 died at this point. But if it's an option it would be a possible way forward.
Yes. This is what I do. I buy unlocked phones from Samsung, and use it on my carrier which is T-Mobile.
My current device is the factory unlocked S21 Ultra. You can also flash unlocked software to a device
with carrier software, but I'm not sure how to do that and it can be a bit tricky. As long as it works with Verizon, I'd highly recommend the unlocked variant of the phone. You don't get the invasive, garbage carrier bloatware. Only downside is sometimes you don't get software updates as fast as the
carrier variants of phones do.

Reactions: kgilbertsen