Note 5 tragic Battery life

d1nman

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
I've had this issue in the past- and it remedied itself for a while. Here's the deal.

I bought my 64gb note 5 through AT&T maybe a week after release.

I had lots of issues with it, including screen coming unglued from the frame, charging port issues, etc. Samsung kept "fixing" it under warranty, but it never really was like a new one should feel (or how mine felt when new) this was annoying because I knew how to fix the device being in phone repair for 7+ years, but with it being under warranty, why would I void it?

So, around February (I think?) Of 2016, I went to AT&T and they gave me a new (refurbished)- but told me it would be brand new- replacement.

This phone did fantastic. Flawless. Not an issue (other than the rear camera failing twice, replaced it twice).

Until about 2-3 months ago.

Now, I use my phone pretty regularly, heavily, and it has been great so I'm not just raging since the phone has had 2+ years of great usage. Best phone I've ever had, in fact. It's not even slow or anything.

Bear with me now, because even though I know most phones inside and out, I know absolutely nothing about "flashing" Androids, reinstalling the OS, software related workings, etc. I was always on the hardware side of things. I rooted my s5 years ago but I have forgotten what I did exactly.

OK finally to my issue- the battery life on my Note 5 is now atrocious. I have replaced the battery with a brand new one from a (as far as I know) reputable parts supplier, even ordered the better Battery offered. But my issue still persists.

I'm getting anywhere from 30 minutes to 4 hrs off a full charge. This morning, I was watching it drop around 2% per minute, maybe more, with no apps running.

In a mere 4 Minutes off the charger (original Samsung charger) I was from 100% to 88%

When it gets to 30%, it will sometimes just die, or, it will begin to drop even faster if I'm really using it. 3-5% per minute.

It's really annoying because I'm on the road alot, and need my phone. It doesn't charge well unless I use the factory charger.

I've never "reset" or "reflashed" the phone or anything like that. I've just used it.

I know a question will arise- what apps do you use?

Textra
Spotify
Snapchat
Instagram

I'd say those are my top 4. I obviously have and use other apps, but not as frequently.

I (guess) I plan on buying the note 9, but I'm just curious as to what could be causing this massive drain. I'm also open to recommendations on a new device.

Accubattery (not sure if this is a reputable app) tells me Snapchat uses the most. I tried deleting it for a few days, but I didn't notice a difference that was like "wow! That was the issue"

It also says my phone is using 1,300-2,500mAh at any given time, even with no apps open. Occasionally drops under 1000, for a bit, but not long

Phone stays over 100°F most of the time, occasionally getting up to 120°F.

Feel free to tell me what I'm doing wrong. I'm a noob when it comes to software stuff.

Thanks everyone

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1, Accubattery is a good app.

2. 1,300 mA drain is excessive. You say that you were on the hardware side, I suspect some hardware causing the problem - a blown capacitor between battery and ground, perhaps. Normally I'd say a new motherboard, but disconnect the battery, then measure resistance across all the voltage rail capacitors. If you can measure to the fraction of an ohm, you might find a shorted capacitor.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I have a Note 5 that has always had bad battery life since day one. I could never trace it to any one source. Several times, I even restored the phone to factory and left it sitting there with a full charge and with NO apps installed on it whatsoever and within 8 hours, the battery would be at 20-30% or so with no use at all.

The only way that I was able to get any kind of useful life out of it was to root the phone and install a custom ROM on it that had been completely debloated. Then I could actually get 2-3 hrs screen time with maybe 12-15 hrs standby.

Also, if your phone is shutting off when it gets to 30%, it may be the battery needs to be replaced.

d1nman

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
Thank you guys very much, and rukbat, that's a very good idea. I'll have to try that.

Maybe it is this Battery, because it just dropped from 100% to 83% in 6 Minutes of standby.

Fingers crossed.

Battery life has never just been exceptional on here, but it's almost not even usable now.

I thought about rooting it, but I'll probably end up getting a new phone

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thank you guys very much, and rukbat, that's a very good idea. I'll have to try that.

Maybe it is this Battery, because it just dropped from 100% to 83% in 6 Minutes of standby.

Fingers crossed.

Battery life has never just been exceptional on here, but it's almost not even usable now.

I thought about rooting it, but I'll probably end up getting a new phone
I would hold out as long as you can. Even if that means getting a cheap GSM Android to use until the next Note comes out.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
What makes you say that?

We are about a month from potential announcement of the Note. Sales might not happen until late September, making it essentially 2 months away. I was under the impression that your Note wouldn't make it that long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter