Note 8.0 or Tab 3 8.0 for reading books and magazines?

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm narrowing down my choices for a new tablet and of these two I'm having the hardest time deciding which would work for me.
I will be using it for mostly ready Books, Magazines and some web.
For the above uses the Tab 3 should suffice but the specs on the hardware seem so last year (I hate buying outdated tech).
On the other hand, the note 8 has decent specs.
The issue with the Note 8 for me is the design. I hate the wide side bezel and the oval top and bottom shapes are ugly.

I wish I could take the internals of the Note 8 and put it into the body of the Tab 3 8.0.

lolwatpear

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I'd say tab 3 based on what you need. If money is no issue and you can get over the bezel's, then I'd say note 8 for the s-pen and better hardware. I saw a review saying how the person liked the larger bezels of the note, however, because it prevented accidental screen inputs.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
If you are just doing basic stuff, I would get the 2013 Nexus 7. On what you get for the dollars spent, it blows the Tab 3 8.0 away. But you do lose a little screen size, but you get a much better screen.

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I went to best buys again and took a look at the Samsung 8" tablets and the Nexus 7.
The screen on the Nexus 7 is so much crisper. You can see every character in sharp detail, while the Samsung screens are just slightly fuzzy.
The Nexus 7 is just too small for me. It's only slightly bigger than my Note II so I'll pass on it. If the Nexus 10 comes out with similar specs, I will be all over it.

I decided I need a high resolution screen so I will be waiting another month or 2 to see what comes out.

jwn66

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I was gonna go with the tab 8, but ended up with the note 8, was $50 off one day sale. The nexus 7 is so tiny and the on screen buttons make it even smaller. Never going back to a 7 inch, 8 is perfect. There both good, the extra internals in the note was worth it for me, made a difference. Note has a reading mode, I dunno if it helps as I don't use it as a find the display fine ad is.

Posted via Android Central App

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I agree that the 8" is the perfect size. I have a transformer prime and 10" is just too heavy to read with for long, gets uncomfortable. I also like the larger bezel on the note 8 because even at what it is I sometimes touch the screen on accident. I wouldn't want it bigger but it is nice to be able to hold it without miscues on the screen.

bigcatman

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I was gonna go with the tab 8, but ended up with the note 8, was $50 off one day sale. The nexus 7 is so tiny and the on screen buttons make it even smaller. Never going back to a 7 inch, 8 is perfect. There both good, the extra internals in the note was worth it for me, made a difference. Note has a reading mode, I dunno if it helps as I don't use it as a find the display fine ad is.

Posted via Android Central App

That's another thing people don't consider when comparing the 7 inch screen size to the 8 inch Note: the Nexus 7's on screen buttons. It makes the 7 inches even smaller except when watching videos.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I posted this in another thread. This is an image that helps you compare screen/viewing sizes for reading.

h36j2np.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiviwin68