News NVIDIA's Shield TV Pro is still the best streaming device in 2024

kiniku

Nov 5, 2023
Visit site
...Google decided to mess with Android TV, switching out the clean UI and introducing an ad-laden abomination.
I use a 3rd party UI that makes it clean with no advertising, and NO politics!

SyCoREAPER

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Agreed. I use a Harmony remote and can access any menu I want the way I want. I use WolfLauncher for a clean look and stockish feel.

The only thing missing is AV1 support but I can live with that for now.

Also, I have a dedicated post but if you own one, change your thermal paste. My 2019 was nearly dry and crumbling as I removed it. I used some high quality Noctua NH2 which should last the rest of its life. Runs very well.

swiedom

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
My 2017 Shield TV is still my main streamer. Gone through a number of FireTV sticks on other TV but this Shield has been the workhorse on our main TV.

SyCoREAPER

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
My 2017 Shield TV is still my main streamer. Gone through a number of FireTV sticks on other TV but this Shield has been the workhorse on our main TV.
Fire anything ruins the picture. SDR looks wrong and HDR DESTROYS the video. And then there's the ad screen, I mean interface... yuch
Made a post about above on AVRForums if anyone is interested.

I will never own another Fire branded item.

bradavon

Aug 3, 2017
Visit site
You didn't mention the Nvidia Shield's biggest draw. The average Android TV box only has 8GB storage, still.

Not entirely surprising though. It's double to four times more expensive than the average Android TV box.

I use a Humax Aura. A unique beast on the market. A Freeview PVR (think TiVo) and Android TV in one.

Adverts aside the Google TV UI is much better than the basic old Android TV UI. Agreed the adverts are annoying but easily ignored.

bradavon

Aug 3, 2017
Visit site
...Google decided to mess with Android TV, switching out the clean UI and introducing an ad-laden abomination.
I use a 3rd party UI that makes it clean with no advertising, and NO politics!
Aren't Android TV launchers just apps though?

Sure you can remap the Home button to launch it but I believe just an app and not a new launcher like on regular Android.

kiniku

Nov 5, 2023
Visit site
Aren't Android TV launchers just apps though?

Sure you can remap the Home button to launch it but I believe just an app and not a new launcher like on regular Android.
Yes it is. And the one I use has to be sideloaded. It replaces the Android TV UI with a barebones interface that is all I want or need. ATV Launcher.

Attachments

• IMG20240403190207.jpg
    IMG20240403190207.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Bla1ze

Community Manager
Staff member
Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
It's honestly one of the best purchase I've ever made I think. It has lasted years, always been solid and never had any issues. On top of being a great streaming device, it's a pretty solid retro gaming device too.

Reactions: kiniku

kiniku

Nov 5, 2023
Visit site
It's honestly one of the best purchase I've ever made I think. It has lasted years, always been solid and never had any issues. On top of being a great streaming device, it's a pretty solid retro gaming device too.
I couldn't agree more. And its processor is so capable and Nvidia has had no need to design a new one.

Reactions: Bla1ze

ustix

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
This is really bad, because we really need some good streaming device for a reasonable price. Shield is a gaming device not really a streaming one and because of that, it is very pricey (at least in my country). But nvidia doesnt have to do anything because the market is not releasing anything stronger in hardware with widevine l1. It wont be hard, just put rk3588 into a box with 4 or 8 gb ram and make it support widevine l1. Doesnt need anything else. It could be cheaper than shield and also better for user experience (rk3588 is much faster in pure processing power, tegra x1 is only better in video performance but you dont need that power for streaming only).

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. I use a Harmony remote and can access any menu I want the way I want. I use WolfLauncher for a clean look and stockish feel.

The only thing missing is AV1 support but I can live with that for now.

Also, I have a dedicated post but if you own one, change your thermal paste. My 2019 was nearly dry and crumbling as I removed it. I used some high quality Noctua NH2 which should last the rest of its life. Runs very well.
I hate that the newer Pro hardware ditched the IR port so I can't use my Harmony with it any longer (original Pro finally died forcing a replacement). When I eventually replace my Pioneer Kuro Elite TV for a modern CEC one it will solve the problem, but until then I'm back to using two remotes.

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm finding a lot of the streaming apps aren't playing as nicely these days with the shield Pro. Paramount+ is a prime example of an app that constantly crashes or forces me to reboot the pro just about anytime I want to stream with that app. This happens on both my Shield Pro and my standard Shield on my other TV so I don't think it's the hardware. I think it's just bad programming by the Paramount+ people. Why they're not taking the time to properly support The shield is beyond me since it is the best streaming device out there. I have similar issues with Peacock as well on the Shield and I don't when I use my LG's WebOS app.

sunburned

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I have the 2019 non-pro and it's pretty hit or miss. It does require a restart every few weeks after an app or two freezes up. The worst part is that a few apps have a random audio cutout when watching content. Never any issues with youtube or youtubeTV, but at least Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu will just randomly cut out the audio in a show/movie. Sometimes I can watch a whole show with no problems, but more often than not the audio will cut out for a full second or two and keep doing it every couple minutes. It's infurating. I've spent hours searching the internet and changing settings to fix the problem. Nothing has helped, it always comes back. Upgraded HDMI cables, upgraded the TV, the AVR is modern and meets all the modern specs. My 2015 Shield has never done it. I'd upgrade, but I don't know what streaming box is better??

SyCoREAPER

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I hate that the newer Pro hardware ditched the why can't use my Harmony with it any longer (original Pro finally died forcing a replacement). When I eventually replace my Pioneer Kuro Elite TV for a modern CEC one it will solve the problem, but until then I'm back to using two remotes.
Sofabaton is serviceable but not a drop in replacement for Harmony. I can't believe Logitech, on the thrown with no competition just says ah F'k it. We're shutting it down. 🤦‍♂️

I haven't tried this but what about something like this; https://www.amazon.com/Inteset-Receiver-Raspberry-Streamers-Included/dp/B077MRD2P4

I have the 2019 non-pro and it's pretty hit or miss. It does require a restart every few weeks after an app or two freezes up. The worst part is that a few apps have a random audio cutout when watching content. Never any issues with youtube or youtubeTV, but at least Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu will just randomly cut out the audio in a show/movie. Sometimes I can watch a whole show with no problems, but more often than not the audio will cut out for a full second or two and keep doing it every couple minutes. It's infurating. I've spent hours searching the internet and changing settings to fix the problem. Nothing has helped, it always comes back. Upgraded HDMI cables, upgraded the TV, the AVR is modern and meets all the modern specs. My 2015 Shield has never done it. I'd upgrade, but I don't know what streaming box is better??
Assuming youre referring to the tube, my experience has been the same, and why they are in boxes in the garage. Mine would constantly lock up or best case go out of sync.
The idiots drilling holes "for airflow" have destroyed the airflow as its no longer tunneled/backpressured, so don't do that.
I repasted those which seemed to help but I think it was a placebo. I did break a decoupling capacitor but luckily didn't affect it (further).

There's a new Chromecast coming out. Not much is known about it but it should be 4K with AV1. Stay away from "Fire"-anything, those cheap clone boxes on Amazon and ebay and only get a Roku in the meantime if you can't stand it anymore.

jlangner

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
I love the shield but I think at least mine, has not had an update since 2022 I think. Are they doing anything new with it?

Second issue is I have a DTV box hooked to receiver as well as Nvidia. Problem is DTV box keeps sending signal to receiver so can't stay on shield input unless unplug the DTV box, so kinda gave up and just use apps on DTV box.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hohenheimofdarkness