Odds the X ever sees Ice Cream Sandwich

rsxtcy4me

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
So does anyone think the Droid X will ever see Ice Cream Sandwich. If so I'm perfectly happy with my X and won't really have a reason to upgrade. If not, that maybe reason enough to upgrade. What's everyone think? Discuss...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Ahowe125

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Personally I don't think it will. The Droid X is already obsolete with newer phones replacing it every day. But on the other hand, the older Droid 2 and I think even OG Droid are getting gingerbread, and they have been replaced by other newer versions as well.

So I guess its possible, but I'm not sure they will focus much on the droid X anymore. Not with the Droid X2 and Bionic available.

I can tell you that even on these forums, they amount of Droid X users is getting smaller by the day. Posts are far and few between, and many people have jumped ship to Tbolt, Bionic, and other newer devices.

rsxtcy4me

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking we will see a mass jumping ship done tomorrow? And even my own wife is tempting me to jump ship. If they offer any special deals my time with my X maybe limited?

Ahowe125

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I too have considered looking into the bionic, but I'm not sure my account will be ready for an upgrade just yet. But that gives me time to wait it out for the next phone. Like many have said, once you commit to a phone, another newer one is just around the corner. So I'm not going to try and jump through any hoops to get one, but like you said, if I got offered any deals I might take one.

roberte1342

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
They are Motoolgle now so I would bet that it will.
Also LG, Sony Ericsson, Motorola, AT&T, Vodafone, Sprint, Samsung, HTC and Verizon Wireless are on board with their 18 month upgrade plan. Meaning that any phone will be upgraded to current software for 18 months of its life. The X is 14 months old (sad I know) and ICS should be dropping within a month so it should get it as its last update.

Ahowe125

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Also LG, Sony Ericsson, Motorola, AT&T, Vodafone, Sprint, Samsung, HTC and Verizon Wireless are on board with their 18 month upgrade plan. Meaning that any phone will be upgraded to current software for 18 months of its life. The X is 14 months old (sad I know) and ICS should be dropping within a month so it should get it as its last update.

Good to know, then maybe it will get it.

rsxtcy4me

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site

With that knowledge maybe I will hold onto the X maybe just a little while longer..

gordol

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if it will or not, it will depend on the hardware requirements of the the thing. If the X has the specs for it, it should get it. If it does not, then it will not. Either way, I am not going to jump to a new device for ICS, and whether or not I go to pull it down immediately if/when it's available will depend entirely on whether or not it has any features/fixes I want. Gingerbread is working just fine here with Launcher Pro on top.

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I dont wanna be a downer, but i would bet that there is no way the X sees ICS. The ICS SDK will probably be released around November. Given the history of past updates with other moto phones, it would take Moto/Verizon at least 4 months to blur/bloat/test the ICS update for any of their devices before the release. At that point, the X would be 20 months old. Also, and this is purely speculative on my part, I wouldnt be surprised for dual-core to be an ICS requirement. Also consider that GB came out in the spring this year, and the OG Droid, which at the time was a similar age as I am guessing the X to be when ICS drops, did not recieve an official GB upgrade.

now that being said, I could easily see some dev out there finding a way to port it to the X once it releases, but as far as an official release, i would bet against it

jerseyboy357

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm still amazed that my X currently runs better, faster, cleaner, and easier than anything coming out as new today IMO. With that said, I think the X will still have enough of a following(at a yr and a half old) to continue on for a taste test of an ice cream sandwich. And as long as its mint chocolate chip, Im in!

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I dont wanna be a downer, but i would bet that there is no way the X sees ICS. The ICS SDK will probably be released around November. Given the history of past updates with other moto phones, it would take Moto/Verizon at least 4 months to blur/bloat/test the ICS update for any of their devices before the release. At that point, the X would be 20 months old. Also, and this is purely speculative on my part, I wouldnt be surprised for dual-core to be an ICS requirement. Also consider that GB came out in the spring this year, and the OG Droid, which at the time was a similar age as I am guessing the X to be when ICS drops, did not recieve an official GB upgrade.

now that being said, I could easily see some dev out there finding a way to port it to the X once it releases, but as far as an official release, i would bet against it

ICS will be single core-compatible, because it has to work on Google's existing Nexus line. So there's a little more hope for ya :)

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Also remember there are a few other avenues. If Verizon doesn't release it, are there new kernel dependencies or can they be worked around? If there are dependencies, will Googorla unlock the bootloader (assuming it's contractually possible) should the merger go through? There's a decent chance that CM7 will get us to ICS before Verizon does, but there's also a decent chance I'll have upgraded before then (if the Bionic had NFC....).

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I highly doubt the X will see ICS. However, I'm sure some of the ROM developers will be able to get it on the X for those who are willing to root/ROM.

tsargent347

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Will ice cream sandwich br a good thing? Will it make it easier to root and rom android devices or will it turn android into a apple type software..what n all will ics do for the android community? Im just curious cause I haven't herd to much but it would suck if we couldn't root and rom android devices anymore..that's my favorite part about android

fantasma4

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I am hopeful that the X will someday see ICS... that being said... I am eligible for an early upgrade in march... and I will probably be getting the GNex at that point and not wait for moto to release the new ics kernel.
On the down side... the X has already received two major updates... froyo and gingerbread... so getting a 3rd major update might be pushing it.
There is always the root/rom solution... which I have no problem with.

Buffalo

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Moto still hasn't got Gingerblur right yet - do we really want them to take a shot at Icyblur on the DX?

Last edited:

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I don't see the ICS release coming to the DX. It will be outside the 18 month from release update commitment by the time Moto and Verizon could have it ready, and the single core would make it a marginal candidate, at best.

I think it will be time to move on when my discount eligibility comes ready next March. The GN looks best to me right now - I would love to be able to just enjoy the Google experience, without the delays in update delivery at Moto and Verizon, and avoid the bloatware.

jerseyboy357

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I've been saying, and will keep saying, I am glad my FULL upgrade isnt until April. As I run my X, its still top of the line to me since there isnt anything I cant do yet that I need to. That will give the RAZR and Nexus time to settle and be felt out. Who knows what will be out by April anyway. I have spoken to some devs who said yes they are willing to toss ICS onto the X depending who's build seems the friendliest to the X.

Shadin

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm in same boat, i can upgrade in april. I really like my x though. Not sure I even want upgrade at that point. my X has been rock solid stable since I got it. I like how the razor looks though. The GNex would be nice too, just to get away from blur.

Last edited: