On screen back and home drive me crazy

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
After a year of LG V10, I could never get used to the on screen back and other buttons. Feels like cheating, they took valuable real estate space and allocated it to buttons. In a browser, I turned them off. But to go back, have to hit the screen, they appear and then you hit them.

I downgraded to the older Samsung Note 4 after my LG V10 self-bricked. It certainly lacks many nice V10/V20 features such as the gorilla glass, more lively, vibrant display and more but it has real buttons not on the screen and that's a really nice feature.

I will probably pass on V20 and wait for a nicer revision, V30 or an entirely new model that encompasses a lot of these requested changes. Removable battery and more.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
True, but a downside of capacitative buttons is accidentally hitting any of them and inadvertently exiting your app, especially if it's in landscape mode. This tends to happen with some regularity if I'm using my old ASUS Zenfone 2, which has capacitative Home, Back, and Recent Apps buttons. With onscreen buttons, if the app is coded correctly to take advantage of immersive mode, there's little danger of accidentally exiting the app.

MikeyBugs95

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Plus buttons take up real estate on the phone itself. Forcing screen sizes to be smaller in similarly sized phones. With on-screen buttons, screens can be made larger without sacrificing screen sizes.

TNCattleDog

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
There is a setting in "display" to auto hide the buttons in apps of your choosing. you just have to swipe up to display the buttons.

EDIT: Opps.. just re read your post...after a few more sips of coffee and saw that you had tried hiding the buttons.

David

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
It's not valuable screen real estate. What are you staring at on that bottom cm of your screen that you consider it valuable space?

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
It looks like you're going to have to get used to it buddy. The S8 leaked pictures show it being the same way with no capacitive home button, and rumor has it the iPhone 8 won't have any home button either. Its cause everyone keeps complaining about screen to bezel ratio. Now you're going to have giant screens that ruins already mostly putrid battery life on these phones. The S7 edge is one of the few phones I've had that gives stellar battery life and it appears the S8 will have both a 20% larger screen and a smaller battery. Bye bye battery.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
So you like on or off screen more or don't care?

I'm good with either and don't care. They disappear anyway when not needed so its not like lost real estate for everything. Certainly shouldn't be a deal breaker for anyone but if it is just get a different phone....problem solved.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I used to have Samsung phones (Galaxy S6 & S7 Active) and I liked the physical buttons. However, they took up real estate itself on the front screen and therefore having less screen-to-body ratio. Front physical buttons will be eliminated in the future, that's the truth about the future of smartphones. The only phones I can think of that will still have the physical buttons is the Galaxy S Active series as physical buttons are necessary in all weather environments such as snow, rain, mud, etc. You should look into those rugged all weather phones (a bit bulkier however).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beauty1