On second Max......battery is much better

hazelgreen

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Verizon gave me a new Maxx since my first one had a battery that barely lasted a day with minimal use. So far the new Maxx is rocking the battery. It's like night and day. First charge lasted almost 18 hours. I'm on second full day and it's been almost 12 hours and it's at 77 percent.

I love this phone and so happy I have one with a good battery!!! The Rep at Verizon was awesome, even gave me his direct line. I was able to exchange at local Verizon store which was nice since I bought online. Although I'm not sure the store reps believed me that the battery wasn't so good on the first one.

Anyway, looking forward to a long (hopefully) future with this Maxx! :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

bradenfontaine

The Mad Man
Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
if you have any questions ill give you my direct line as well

images

hazelgreen

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Well, technically, we don't, but I watched Dallas last night, so maybe that influenced me. :p

Going on almost 10 hours and at 88%. Course I do have Smart Actions turn off data, etc. during the day. I don't know that I could get that using it more. The Verizon rep said his goes 3 days on 4G and using mobile hotspot. I think he was full of it personally....

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I can get 10, maybe 12 hours of constant use out of my Maxx and it goes from full charge to nearly dead. Maybe I should call Verizon about it....

hazelgreen

May 27, 2011
Visit site
12 hours of constant use? That sounds good to me. I doubt mine would last much longer if I was constantly on it. But maybe I'm wrong.....?

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
OK, maybe it's good then. There are so many variables between one user and the next that it's very difficult to compare.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I can get 10, maybe 12 hours of constant use out of my Maxx and it goes from full charge to nearly dead. Maybe I should call Verizon about it....

What do you mean by constant use? Is your screen on constantly? Is 4G on constantly? If so, 10-12 hrs is pretty awesome. Most other phones would be lucky to go for about 4-6 hrs of constant use before needing a recharge.

Here's an article from Time back in Feb, where a tech writer did his own informal testing. He found that the battery was exhausted after 4 hours of continuous 4G video streaming (which is clearly battery intensive); however, with the screen on constantly (and apparently not doing anything else), the battery lasted for almost 24 hrs.

Review: Putting Motorola's Droid Razr Maxx Battery Life to the Test | Techland | TIME.com

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
What do you mean by constant use? Is your screen on constantly? Is 4G on constantly? If so, 10-12 hrs is pretty awesome. Most other phones would be lucky to go for about 4-6 hrs of constant use before needing a recharge.

Here's an article from Time back in Feb, where a tech writer did his own informal testing. He found that the battery was exhausted after 4 hours of continuous 4G video streaming (which is clearly battery intensive); however, with the screen on constantly (and apparently not doing anything else), the battery lasted for almost 24 hrs.

Review: Putting Motorola's Droid Razr Maxx Battery Life to the Test | Techland | TIME.com

Maybe about 70% screen on time. I don't have a 4G signal at my house (I'm on the fringe area and never get it here, even outside), but I do have 4G turned on. All data and background data always turned on. FB updates every hour. Gmail push, corporate email checking every hour, Accuweather updates every half hour, etc...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Maybe about 70% screen on time. I don't have a 4G signal at my house (I'm on the fringe area and never get it here, even outside), but I do have 4G turned on. All data and background data always turned on. FB updates every hour. Gmail push, corporate email checking every hour, Accuweather updates every half hour, etc...

So with all of that, your battery life is pretty darned good. First of all, I believe having 4G turned on in an area with intermittent or no 4G signal can contribute to increased battery usage, because the 4G LTE radio is constantly searching for a signal. Where I work, Verizon's reception is pretty poor, and I notice increased battery drain unless I switch the phone to Airplane Mode, because the phone is constantly searching for that signal.

Second, the more frequently you set your apps to update, the more battery they use, because the apps are essentially waking the phone up to access the web.

Since your area has poor or no 4G reception, you may want to change your radio to look for CDMA (i.e., 3G) only, rather than the CDMA/LTE mode. Go to Settings->Wireless & network settings->Mobile networks->Network Mode, and change it to CDMA only. Of course, when you go to other areas with 4G, you could change it back to CDMA/LTE. Not sure if Smart Actions can do this for you, since I never use it--anyone else know?

In any case, don't worry--your battery's good!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How do you change frequency of syncing apps?

It's usually in the Menu of the app. For instance, with Facebook, hit the Menu button, select Settings->Refresh interval, and select whichever interval you prefer. If you pick "Never," then it will only refresh when you manually do so (typically by dragging down on the main screen).

For Gmail and other Google apps like Calendar on my old Droid Incredible, I remember being able to go to the phone's Settings somewhere and selecting whether I wanted them to update automatically or only when I manually wanted to update; however, I can't seem to find that selection screen on the Maxx. My phone is still set up to update only manually, though, so I think it was something I could select when I was initially setting up the phone and linking it with my Google account.