One thing you'd change about the Nexus One? (Hardware)

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Just like the title says, for me personally, I'd ditch the trackball in favor for a trackpad or better yet, nothing. My runner up would be the screen. Now don't get me wrong, love the screen but in sunlight, like when I'm in the car, I have to go to full brightness to see it clearly. Guess you have to make certain sacrifices.

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
I dont personally own one, but from my playing around with one, I would change a few things as well.

First of all, I agree, ditch the trackball. Its all touchscreen for a reason, why is there a need for a trackball?

Second, I would change the location of the sensors for the buttons on the bottom of the screen. It appears you have to tap them in just the right area (which for me is too close to the screen) in order for them to work.

Third, the keyboard accuracy seemed a little off, unless it was just me and my inability to type on it. I just felt I could not land my finger on the correct keys.

Overall the phone is sweet, just figured for Google's flagship device, a little more effort to the small details would have shown.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
I dont personally own one, but from my playing around with one, I would change a few things as well.

First of all, I agree, ditch the trackball. Its all touchscreen for a reason, why is there a need for a trackball?

Second, I would change the location of the sensors for the buttons on the bottom of the screen. It appears you have to tap them in just the right area (which for me is too close to the screen) in order for them to work.

Third, the keyboard accuracy seemed a little off, unless it was just me and my inability to type on it. I just felt I could not land my finger on the correct keys.

Overall the phone is sweet, just figured for Google's flagship device, a little more effort to the small details would have shown.

There are some who complain about the touchscreen but after using it for about a month now I can honestly say it's just a matter of getting used to it. Just because it is a touchscreen doesn't mean it has to work just like an iPhone or any other touchscreen device for that matter. It's like when I now use my iPhone 3GS and can't type correctly because I'm not used to it. Does that mean the iPhone is jacked up? Not at all.

As for the soft buttons on the bottom, another case of people blowing something way out of proportion unless there are issues with certain devices. Took me 5 minutes to find the sweet spot and have zero issues.

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
Yeah, understandable. I am on Verizon, so I don't own one, just have picked em up to play with them. At first I didnt like the form factor of the DROID, but that changed after I took ownership of one, so I would guess the N1 would be the same way.

So after a month of owning, any regrets in the switch?

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, understandable. I am on Verizon, so I don't own one, just have picked em up to play with them. At first I didnt like the form factor of the DROID, but that changed after I took ownership of one, so I would guess the N1 would be the same way.

So after a month of owning, any regrets in the switch?

Not at all. I only pay one cell bill a month now. Plus my AT&T service is much better than Verizon in my area. And it's easier to switch out which ever device I want to use depending on the day. :)

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
Not at all. I only pay one cell bill a month now. Plus my AT&T service is much better than Verizon in my area. And it's easier to switch out which ever device I want to use depending on the day. :)

That is awesome. It really is all about finding a device that works for you. What is best for one person, may not be the best for someone else, which is something that not a lot of people seem to understand. They think its like a blanket rule affect, everyone is best off with one certain phone.

The NexusOne looks intruiging and honestly, when it releases on Verizon, I will probably pick one up.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
That is awesome. It really is all about finding a device that works for you. What is best for one person, may not be the best for someone else, which is something that not a lot of people seem to understand. They think its like a blanket rule affect, everyone is best off with one certain phone.

The NexusOne looks intruiging and honestly, when it releases on Verizon, I will probably pick one up.

Very true. And I highly recommend the N1.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I would have to say give it 16 gigs of flash memory rather than a sdcard. Though it would be nice to have both that would get rid of the apps to sdcard issue. Plus that would open us up to bigger 3d games

zeuswsu

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site

Cell phone plans aside...is there anything hardware wise you miss from the droid you wish was on the nexus? Do you prefer the screen on the droid? I'll probably get the nexus when it comes to verizon since I love how fast it is on the internet as far as rendering web pages goes and like the form factor, but I'm still considering getting the droid. I guess i'm wondering how much the nexus pros outway the droids cons.

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
The speaker. It sucks.

I would love premium external stereo speakers. It's the only thing I miss about the BB 9000.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Cell phone plans aside...is there anything hardware wise you miss from the droid you wish was on the nexus? Do you prefer the screen on the droid? I'll probably get the nexus when it comes to verizon since I love how fast it is on the internet as far as rendering web pages goes and like the form factor, but I'm still considering getting the droid. I guess i'm wondering how much the nexus pros outway the droids cons.

I'd go Nexus every time honestly. Hardware wise I miss nothing. The screen in particular I do like more so on the Nexus since the contrast is much better but in direct sunlight the Droid's screen win. Again, I'd go Nexus One each time and never look back.

LCW

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
there's a few things I'd like to update... but the top one would be actual working colour trackball...

the music player interface also needs a revamp....

and the auto-brightness needs a bit of tweaking... it should allow for a min and max setting... like say wont' drop below 15% and not more than 75% - both adjustable by user - those are just example values...

Rusty Shackelford

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Ditch the trackball for something similar to the iPhone magnifying glass (need one or the other for text editing). Nothing else. Love my t-mobile service, love my monthly bill, love the screen, love android.

P.S. I have ditched my Garmin!

zeuswsu

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
I'd go Nexus every time honestly. Hardware wise I miss nothing. The screen in particular I do like more so on the Nexus since the contrast is much better but in direct sunlight the Droid's screen win. Again, I'd go Nexus One each time and never look back.

Cool, thanks for giving me some assurance I'm making the right choice waiting out for the nexus one to come out on verizon. It's just hard to be patient...

GadgetMomma

Jan 28, 2010
jennbailey0706.wordpress.com
I'd definitely have to go with losing the trackball. I do use it more than I thought it would, but it doesn't seem as smooth to me as a blackberry trackball (I liked how you could change the sensitivity of the BB trackball). Also, I don't really seem to scroll too fast/high when I'm in portrait mode, but when I'm in landscape mode, I'm forever scrolling too far to the left and hitting the home soft key. It's by no means a deal breaker, just annoying, but still.

But I agree with Jeremy - out of the phones I've had, I'd still pick Nexus every time. I don't have a problem with the screen - I like how my widget can make it different brightness levels - I just put it on the higher brightness setting when I"m outside. Maybe this will make a bigger difference when it's summer and I"m outside all the time, but for now, it's been perfect. The screen is amazing. I use Tweetcaster for Twitter, and the screen in the dark theme is absolutely beautiful - I'm amazed every time I see it!

I also kind of wish the camera didn't stick out like it does. It's not bad, it doesn't interfere with anything, it's more because I"m afraid of scratching it when I set it down, and I don't like to set my phone face down.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
I'd definitely have to go with losing the trackball. I do use it more than I thought it would, but it doesn't seem as smooth to me as a blackberry trackball (I liked how you could change the sensitivity of the BB trackball). Also, I don't really seem to scroll too fast/high when I'm in portrait mode, but when I'm in landscape mode, I'm forever scrolling too far to the left and hitting the home soft key. It's by no means a deal breaker, just annoying, but still.

But I agree with Jeremy - out of the phones I've had, I'd still pick Nexus every time. I don't have a problem with the screen - I like how my widget can make it different brightness levels - I just put it on the higher brightness setting when I"m outside. Maybe this will make a bigger difference when it's summer and I"m outside all the time, but for now, it's been perfect. The screen is amazing. I use Tweetcaster for Twitter, and the screen in the dark theme is absolutely beautiful - I'm amazed every time I see it!

I also kind of wish the camera didn't stick out like it does. It's not bad, it doesn't interfere with anything, it's more because I"m afraid of scratching it when I set it down, and I don't like to set my phone face down.

If you were to ever scratch the back by the camera you could always replace it with a new backing. That would be the worst case scenario.

STC09

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
One thing, hmm?

The radio array.

Add CDMA/EVDO/European 3G radios and make this a true World Phone.

Love the phone, but T-Mobile isn't a serious option for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfrostpierce