OnePlus 3 Won't Stay Paired With Car and Smart Watch - HELP!

jodeg1945

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
I have a OnePlus 3 phone, an Asus ZenWatch 3 and a Buick Encore. I "was" able to pair my phone with both devices without any problems, and they stayed paired until about 2 weeks ago.

Now, when both the watch and the car are connected, the car becomes unpaired with the phone. I have to "forget" the pairing on my phone and pair it to the car again. If I turn the car on first, it will still be paired, then when I turn on my watch, it will also be paired, but the next time I turn on my car, I get a message that there is no phone, and I have to go through the whole "forget" and pair process again.

As I said, the car and the watch were paired perfectly and I had no problem until about 2 weeks ago. I've searched on line for info, but haven't had any luck. I haven't received the Nougat update yet, and there's also an update for my watch coming that I haven't received yet, so any recent updates aren't causing the problem.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do to keep the watch and the car paired to my phone? Having to repair them each time I get in the car is a bummer! Is there an app or something that would keep them paired?

HELP!! Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is the phone connecting to the watch for Phone Audio? If so, it might be competing with the car, and kicking the car's connection off the phone. Try going to Settings>Bluetooth on the phone, select the ZenWatch, and uncheck Phone Audio, and see if the problem goes away.

jodeg1945

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
Thank you so much, I will give that a try and report what happens. I never noticed that "phone audio" checkbox when I was pairing. I'm not sure what "phone audio" is, but my ZenWatch 3 has it's own speaker and microphone.

Thanks again for your advice!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Phone Audio in the Settings>Bluetooth menu means that the connected Bluetooth device will transmit audio for phone calls. The ZenWatch 3 is supposed to let you make calls using the watch, so Phone Audio might be turned on for it.

jodeg1945

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
I unchecked the phone audio box, turned on my watch and then my car, and everything was paired and connected -- hopefully, everything will stay this way! I called my phone from my landline to see if I still received a sound notification, could answer and talk on the watch with the phone audio turned off, and everything still worked fine.

So I'm a happy camper right now! I'll post how everything works going forward.
Thanks for your help!

jodeg1945

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
Still having the same problem - usually my OP3 will stay paired with my watch - ZenWatch 3, but when I turn on my car, it's almost never paired. I have to "forget" the Buick on my phone, and do a pair on both the phone and the car in order to get them to pair again. Then the next time I turn my car on, if I have my watch on, the watch and phone are paired, but the car is not.

I not have the Nougat update on my phone, and an update on my ZW3, but neither made any difference with my pairing problem. They both stayed paired perfectly until a few weeks ago!

This is a bummer! Anyone have any ideas? Any app to help? I've tried a couple, but they don't make any difference.

Last edited:

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Still having the same problem - usually my OP3 will stay paired with my watch - ZenWatch 3, but when I turn on my car, it's almost never paired. I have to "forget" the Buick on my phone, and do a pair on both the phone and the car in order to get them to pair again. Then the next time I turn my car on, if I have my watch on, the watch and phone are paired, but the car is not.

I not have the Nougat update on my phone, and an update on my ZW3, but neither made any difference with my pairing problem. They both stayed paired perfectly until a few weeks ago!

This is a bummer! Anyone have any ideas? Any app to help? I've tried a couple, but they don't make any difference.

Sorry to hear about your BT issues! I'm running 7.0 on OOS 4.0.2 and I have no BT issues with my phone and 15' Silverado. I'd try updating the firmware and if that fails reformat back to factory to see if that helps any.

Ronnypep

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi Jodeg1945 I am no genius at this by any means and I have the same issues you do as it relates to BT and car phone watch issues. First I have read that although you can pair up to 6 or seven devices to the phone via BT you can only use one at time. So, when I try to access my phone via the car's BT and my watch is connected, the car system tells me the BT phone is not available. If I shut my watch off, the phone is accessible via the car's BT so I know this is an issue. Right now I don't have a fix but when I do I will post one but I think the BT devices are competing and it's inherent to the way BT works. Anybody out there who disagrees please speak up, like I said I am not a genius at this just looking for answers.

jodeg1945

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for your help. It seems to be working okay now. The watch and the car are both connected and paired and seem to be staying that way after I turn off the car and then turn it on again. I think the Nougat update may have helped????

I didn't have this problem at all until recently, so both paired devices should work with the phone at the same time. Time will tell, I guess!

Thanks again!
Jo Anne

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your help. It seems to be working okay now. The watch and the car are both connected and paired and seem to be staying that way after I turn off the car and then turn it on again. I think the Nougat update may have helped????

I didn't have this problem at all until recently, so both paired devices should work with the phone at the same time. Time will tell, I guess!

Thanks again!
Jo Anne

Glad you got it figured out!

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I never thought about it, but my Pebble Time Steel is connected to my OP3 via BT.. and I have BT adapters in my vehicles so I can connect via BT to the OBDII data stream and tap into the system with my OP3 and Torque Pro app. I've never seen an issue having both going at the same time.

I don't get the feeling that Carplay/Android Auto are fully baked yet.

jodeg1945

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
Thanks, Cgardnervt, I didn't do anything really, so who knows! It's still working fine today. Bluetooth in my car is a must-have!

jodeg1945

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
Yes, I do think if both not working at the same time was the way Bluetooth "works", everyone would have the same difficulty. I'm just happy it's working okay for now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teresa Belmonte