OnePlus 3T vs Honor 8

uw

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I got curious, so I tried the OnePlus 3T. I have to say, it's a great phone. Everything about the phone was fast: the transition, finger print scanner and the camera. The camera took great pictures, but I think Honor 8 is more color accurate. But the OnePlus seemed to capture more details. Maybe that's the megapixel difference? And I really did like the size. Although Honor 8 is the perfect size, my eyes aren't what they used to be so a larger screen size was a welcome change.

But in the end, I stayed with Honor 8. I just couldn't get use to the 'stock' feel of Oxygen OS. I was missing some of the native apps and features of EMUI. Really, the only thing missing is the app drawer, which I'm looking forward to when nougat comes out. I'm hoping Honor 9 might be a 5.5 inch screen. If not, then I might go with Mate 9. But it looks like I'll be sticking with Huawei/Honor for a while.

orangecroc

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
I've tried a few of my friends new phones since getting my honor 8 and I feel the same. I don't think I'll be changing manufacturer for the foreseeable future. They have come on leaps and bounds in the short time since the honor 8 was released alone.

wcavaliere88

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
I got curious, so I tried the OnePlus 3T. I have to say, it's a great phone. Everything about the phone was fast: the transition, finger print scanner and the camera. The camera took great pictures, but I think Honor 8 is more color accurate. But the OnePlus seemed to capture more details. Maybe that's the megapixel difference? And I really did like the size. Although Honor 8 is the perfect size, my eyes aren't what they used to be so a larger screen size was a welcome change.

But in the end, I stayed with Honor 8. I just couldn't get use to the 'stock' feel of Oxygen OS. I was missing some of the native apps and features of EMUI. Really, the only thing missing is the app drawer, which I'm looking forward to when nougat comes out. I'm hoping Honor 9 might be a 5.5 inch screen. If not, then I might go with Mate 9. But it looks like I'll be sticking with Huawei/Honor for a while.

One of the issues with OnePlus is the lack of expandable memory. I download music to my phone so that off the bat would be a deal breaker. Unless the 3t added this feature, have not done much research on that one only the previous.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I've tried a few of my friends new phones since getting my honor 8 and I feel the same. I don't think I'll be changing manufacturer for the foreseeable future. They have come on leaps and bounds in the short time since the honor 8 was released alone.

Very true. They were pretty quick to do updates on this phone

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the mini review, OP! It's true that OnePlus vs Honor is a pretty interesting showdown: both phones are great!

wimbet

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm hoping Honor 9 might be a 5.5 inch screen. If not, then I might go with Mate 9. But it looks like I'll be sticking with Huawei/Honor for a while.

The honor X series (4X/5X/6X) has been going for the 5.5inch display size, and the flagship honor series (6/7/8) have been going for the 5-5.2inch display. Last year they did release the honor 8 Note with a 6.6inch display, so maybe they will do something similar for honor 9 (or whatever comes after the 8).

DominionRoofs

Dec 14, 2016
Visit site
I had both and kept the 3T. For me, a phones speed and fluidity is the most important. OP3T is noticeably smoother and faster at multitasking. The cameras are similar. Oxygen OS vs EMUI?... yeah oxygen all the way. The double tap, dark mode and other gestures work flawlessly. That's something I could never say before and I was really surprised. H8 is a great phone but for me, it's not superior to the 3t.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
One of the issues with OnePlus is the lack of expandable memory. I download music to my phone so that off the bat would be a deal breaker. Unless the 3t added this feature, have not done much research on that one only the previous.
It doesn't have microSD, which is a good thing. It has a 128 GB internal storage option, which is way better.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't have microSD, which is a good thing. It has a 128 GB internal storage option, which is way better.

While i agree that internal is better, many people already have an SD card, and the 3t 128gb costs 66% more currently than the honor 8, based on current sales.

richv77

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Are the cameras really that similar? I am wondering if the 3T has a better camera. The only negative I have about my H8 is low light camera shots. Everything else is very good.

-Rich

I had both and kept the 3T. For me, a phones speed and fluidity is the most important. OP3T is noticeably smoother and faster at multitasking. The cameras are similar. Oxygen OS vs EMUI?... yeah oxygen all the way. The double tap, dark mode and other gestures work flawlessly. That's something I could never say before and I was really surprised. H8 is a great phone but for me, it's not superior to the 3t.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Are the cameras really that similar? I am wondering if the 3T has a better camera. The only negative I have about my H8 is low light camera shots. Everything else is very good.

-Rich

Personally I find low light shots good in honor 8. It doesn't have hardware OIS built in but it is hard to beat the dual lens setup. This means, say when you are in a car or moving, the camera may produce blurred shots. Other than that, the camera, for what you pay, is phenomenal.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kenamac