Op2 T-Mobile WiFi calling possibilities

zachthebomb13

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
So, I already know that WiFi calling is something that needs to be built into the system, and cannot just easily be put in. I also know only devices sold by T-Mobile currently have WiFi calling, and unlocked devices like the opo and moto phones don't. While I'm generally tech savvy, I'm no engineer. So my question is will it ever be possible to get T-Mobile WiFi calling on the op2, and what would it take to get it there?

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Tell T-Mobile that you want an app. There is a petition at change dot org/p/t-mobile-make-an-app-for-wifi-calling

At the moment. No roms or apks have been created to include it. It will not be added unless T-Mobile sells the phone (which will not happen for this one)

Bad news for us all

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Sadly this won't happen. T-Mobile builds it into their phones (as you said) and unlocked phones are left out. Even the rooters still haven't found a way to get WiFi calling installed on unlocked devices.

zachthebomb13

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I wonder how Apple does it. Did they install special t-mobile software, or build it in themselves? The answer to this question will answer whether it'll work with Android M.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I wonder how Apple does it. Did they install special t-mobile software, or build it in themselves? The answer to this question will answer whether it'll work with Android M.

Apple builds it into the OS w/ T-Mobile helping on the side to ensure it works.

wolfnumba1

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Just so you guys know, I have the M developer preview installed on my nexus 6, tmobile wifi calling works inside of it. There was a special 5.1.1 build for the nexus 6 to add wifi calling for phones that had a tmobile SIM card in the phone, however there was no such special build for the M developer preview, just the same image that they offer for all nexus 6 devices regardless of SIM card in it, tmobile wifi calling works. Might be a good sign for all unlocked devices in the future that have marshmellow installed or are updated later to it (OP2).

zachthebomb13

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Just so you guys know, I have the M developer preview installed on my nexus 6, tmobile wifi calling works inside of it. There was a special 5.1.1 build for the nexus 6 to add wifi calling for phones that had a tmobile SIM card in the phone, however there was no such special build for the M developer preview, just the same image that they offer for all nexus 6 devices regardless of SIM card in it, tmobile wifi calling works. Might be a good sign for all unlocked devices in the future that have marshmellow installed or are updated later to it (OP2).

This is very timely, as I was just going to look this up today.

wolfnumba1

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
This is very timely, as I was just going to look this up today.

Lol yeah I was looking it up myself to see if there were any confirmations on whether it will work out of box on OP2, but somebody brought up marshmellow having system support for wifi calling so I figured I will chime in on that as an added bonus

sdroamer

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
To get WiFi calling to work, the modem software and Android image both need to support it. So just an upgrade to Android M might not help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawrick