Opening previously downloaded files

Micheal Double

May 8, 2017
Visit site
Up until about 6 months ago, if I downloaded a previously downloaded file(...pdf), it would ask if I wanted to redownload or just open the local file. Usually I'd just click to open it as it beats finding it for myself.

Then all of a sudden about 6 months ago (guessing), only option available is download or cancel, no "open" option.

So now I just click on "download" and redownload and the PDF viewer takes over. Which is really ok but I have the same file multiple times in storage.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Which device? Is it definitely the exact same filename, such that the duplicate you download has a (1) tacked onto the filename?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh sorry, I initially misunderstood your question. I thought the issue was that the phone wasn't telling you that you were downloading a duplicate file.

Is this only happening with the browser? Which browser are you using -- Chrome, Samsung Internet, or something else?

Thomas_George

Mar 8, 2015
Visit site
Perhaps the design of the feature options has changed after your browser has been upgraded. Check the release note of that web browser.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's interesting, I don't recall encountering this in the past when using Chrome, so I wonder if it was more of a Samsung feature that went away.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It's interesting, I don't recall encountering this in the past when using Chrome, so I wonder if it was more of a Samsung feature that went away.
Can't say i really dont pay attention to those details but chrome gets updated frequently so possible that or Samsung.