Optimus V won't overclock past 784...

nickmiller71

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
So, I had flashed the most current version of aospCMod, and everything was running well...until I tried to overclock. My phone began to freeze up, and I realized that I'm only stable (at least with this rom) up to 784 (or at least I think that was the number). I'm not able to get above 800, or the phone freezes. My question is, should I just go back and try to get another one from Best Buy, or should I simply try something else out? I was pretty pissed...

overthinkingme

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. I'm hoping a different kernel will allow higher stable clocks. You should try your hand at an exchange if you can. Can't get any worse.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

digitaljeannie

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
This topic has been discussed ad-nauseum in this forum. Your stable overclock speed has nothing to do with the kernel. It has to do with the actualy chip on your phone. Each chip is different. They are all set to clock to 600. The fact that you can overclock at all is a bonus. You could try exchanging your phone until you find one that can overclock higher, but a new kernel, a new ROM, a new sticker on the back, is not going to get you a higher overlock speed on the phone you've got.

nickmiller71

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. I'm hoping a different kernel will allow higher stable clocks. You should try your hand at an exchange if you can. Can't get any worse.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

True that. I might bring it to Best Buy tomorrow after a nice backup and get a different one. Can't hurt to try, right?

chrissurra

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
True that. I might bring it to Best Buy tomorrow after a nice backup and get a different one. Can't hurt to try, right?

If youre willing to go through the trouble of going to best buy, waiting in line, arguing with the rep to return your working phone, calling virgin to switch your number over, reroot and re-overclock to possibly get an extra 77mhz (which you probably wont notice) then go for it. Plus you might get a phone with a chip that wont be stable at the 787 you get now. Then are you going to go through the trouble to get another different phone?

icemank121

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Overclocking is mostly hardware limited. I am only stable to 806, and thats the same on all ROMS. Not all CPUs are created equal, some are capable of higher speeds, some not. You can even get a processor that can't overclock at ALL. Sometimes, a tweak here or there with the kernel can help. Often voltage changes can help, but that can be dangerous.

FuzyBaffy

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Not true a change in the kernel could allow a more stable overclock. Your phone may require a little more voltage to get past 784 versus someone else. Same as a desktop PC. Same as on my old moto droid.

Not that you would see the difference really.

I am actually hoping the kernel writers can under-volt the processors a little I would rather have better battery life.

doctadunk

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
i also get reboot if i go over 800, i even got a reboot on 784 after the 2.3.3

so now im currently at 764 and no reboots so far, its not really a big deal.

nickmiller71

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
You know, it's honestly not a huge issue that I can't overclock past 800 right now, I just hope that I might possibly be able to someday. My buddy's got one and he can overclock to 864, and maybe I'm just a bit jealous...lol.

chrissurra

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
@FuzyBaffy you can install setcpu profile to underclock when the screen is off, I have is set to 245mhz and almost doubled my battery life.