OS update coming scares me

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
There sure seems to be a lot of issues after the OS update on the S22U forum. They really need to make it so we can skip OS updates for those of us that are happy with the way or phones are working.

How can the beta have no issues then there are lots of issues when released?

Sent from my SM-X800 using Tapatalk

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I have yet to have any issues with beta 3 on my zf4.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
I know, but there were beta testers saying that on the S22 and now the forum is full of this doesn't work, where did this go and so on. When it officially releases for the fold 4 if there aren't similar posts it will be the first phone that gets a new OS with no issues.

I can about imagine what I call regular people think after getting new OS updates and things don't work anymore. I bet the workers at carrier call centers and stores hate new OS updates, they have to get flooded with calls and people coming in.

I hope the fold 4 is the rare phone that gets the new OS with no issues. I'm betting on a blizzard in Miami Florida will have better chances of happening.

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
My husband & I have Unlocked s22 Ultras on T-Mobile & were not on the beta. We haven't experienced any problems. The battery life hasn't decreased, our notifications are coming through & they wake our screens. I can't say I've noticed that the phones are taking longer to charge.

I like Android 13 & Samsung's UI 5.0.

I know that sometimes updates don't go according to plan, but I believe you will always hear more about the negative experiences than the positive.

:)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Beta testing for most part was smooth some hiccups but any Major Os update not going catch all the bugs plus Samsung pretty quick to fix them when they do arise by next update, not like you be waiting months to get a fix . I say do not fear !

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
My husband & I have Unlocked s22 Ultras on T-Mobile & were not on the beta. We haven't experienced any problems. The battery life hasn't decreased, our notifications are coming through & they wake our screens. I can't say I've noticed that the phones are taking longer to charge.

I like Android 13 & Samsung's UI 5.0.

I know that sometimes updates don't go according to plan, but I believe you will always hear more about the negative experiences than the positive.

Understand, but not everyone gets that luck. Just because you and others don't have issues doesn't mean they aren't out there. The forums are always this is a great phone, nothing better before updates but there's post after post of issues after the update. S22U forum is full of issues now, this one will be also, if not it will be a first.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Beta testing for most part was smooth some hiccups but any Major Os update not going catch all the bugs plus Samsung pretty quick to fix them when they do arise by next update, not like you be waiting months to get a fix . I say do not fear !
I'm debating on package disabler to block at least until I know good lock is working 100%. I can't hide from it forever, I know that.

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Understand, but not everyone gets that luck. Just because you and others don't have issues doesn't mean they aren't out there. The forums are always this is a great phone, nothing better before updates but there's post after post of issues after the update. S22U forum is full of issues now, this one will be also, if not it will be a first.

I do agree. I think that 3rd party apps tend to throw wenches into things also.

I have used PDP to hold off on updates in the past. Sometimes it's worth it for peace of mind if nothing else!

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I do agree. I think that 3rd party apps tend to throw wenches into things also.

I have used PDP to hold off on updates in the past. Sometimes it's worth it for peace of mind if nothing else!
Absolutely, third party apps throw a big wrench in the mix. Apps like good lock should not be one of the apps not working though since Samsung does that app.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

I went through 2 pixels, that received a combined 6 years of monthly security updates, and 6 OS upgrades and never had a problem. I was impressed, and probably a little lucky too lol. My first Samsung smartphone, which is a Flip 3, was a Battle Royale updating it to 12... I'm definitely not looking forward to 13 :eek: In fact I'm planning on a factory reset after 13 because of my experience with 12.

Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll be fine.. but from my experience, and what I'm reading, I don't get the impression Samsung sends their updates out quite as refined as they could be. But they do have a gazillion different phone models to update with different software versions at any given time... maybe too many? ;)

tismydroid

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm betting that 90% of updates go well and the few that don't are easily resolved. Despite the many factors that can mess up an update (500 installed apps and not all of them legit, a million settings & permissions for the phone & each of the 500 apps and some of them conflicting with each other, etc) amazingly most people experience a smooth transition and love the new features that come with a major update. Chances are, if an update creates a problem, the problem is minor and easily fixed. Often times it's only a matter of updating the 500 apps installed on your phone or cleaning your partition cache.

Worst case scenario, you might have to do a Factory Data Reset but even that is rarely necessary these days.

I actually did have problems with the latest update. Phone lagged opening & closing apps and OneUI would stop responding. After trying the easy fixes, I was ready to do an FDR but read from others that using another launcher solved the problem. Yup, that worked. I still plan on doing an FDR just so I can start fresh & clean. As much work as it is to do the backup, the FDR & re-setup, (maybe 3-4hrs work) it sure is nice to have a phone that feels brand new again. I used to always do an FDR with every major update; before installing the update and then after installing the update. I haven't done that in years because if there are problems, they are minor and there is always a fix.

Despite that I've had a few glitches with updates, I still look forward to them and the only hesitation in installing them is doing it when I have time to play with the new features after. I still have my important data & pictures backed up before the update but I'm always doing that on a regular basis anyway.

DFU
(Don't Fear the Update, )

Sent from my SM-S908U using AC Forums mobile app

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm betting that 90% of updates go well and the few that don't are easily resolved. Despite the many factors that can mess up an update (500 installed apps and not all of them legit, a million settings & permissions for the phone & each of the 500 apps and some of them conflicting with each other, etc) amazingly most people experience a smooth transition and love the new features that come with a major update. Chances are, if an update creates a problem, the problem is minor and easily fixed. Often times it's only a matter of updating the 500 apps installed on your phone or cleaning your partition cache.

Worst case scenario, you might have to do a Factory Data Reset but even that is rarely necessary these days.

I actually did have problems with the latest update. Phone lagged opening & closing apps and OneUI would stop responding. After trying the easy fixes, I was ready to do an FDR but read from others that using another launcher solved the problem. Yup, that worked. I still plan on doing an FDR just so I can start fresh & clean. As much work as it is to do the backup, the FDR & re-setup, (maybe 3-4hrs work) it sure is nice to have a phone that feels brand new again. I used to always do an FDR with every major update; before installing the update and then after installing the update. I haven't done that in years because if there are problems, they are minor and there is always a fix.

Despite that I've had a few glitches with updates, I still look forward to them and the only hesitation in installing them is doing it when I have time to play with the new features after. I still have my important data & pictures backed up before the update but I'm always doing that on a regular basis anyway.

DFU
(Don't Fear the Update, )

Sent from my SM-S908U using AC Forums mobile app
I don't want to do a factory reset, there's no need for me to do one, my phone is working great now. All my apps work great now, I don't want to have to go thru and adjust settings and permissions. Could be easily resolved, but there's nothing I need to resolve now, phone is working great.

Even if it's 10%, that still makes issues for some. I've made it thru updates also with no issues, but that doesn't mean they aren't there and the ones that have to deal with them have headaches. Saying 90% don't have issues so it's not a big deal is like saying I haven't had a heart attack so it's ok, it doesn't effect me... But it could.

My main point, why do we have to be forced to the new update. My phone works fine the way it is. Most OS updates are just more features and from what I've seen so far on this next update there's nothing I need or care if I have it. Anything important for phone operation can be done thru security updates, but security updates go away if you block updates to avoid the OS update.

This is one thing blackberry did right. You didn't have to do the update, if you did and it created issues you could revert back to any official OS you wanted.

I can't remember what phone it was, but there was one that I and a lot of people upgraded phones mainly because the OS update screwed it up pretty bad. That one wasn't easily fixed.

I'll probably take the ride and update. I'll probably block it til I see good lock is working properly. I don't want to go with my clock on the left side. There's nothing the update gives me that makes me want to give that up.

It's obvious that I'll never be a beta tester for OS updates.