OTA being unlocked?

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
This question may have been asked already but I cannot find it. I am unlocked with Wug's genius tool kit, big props to Wug, but not rooted. IF this ota happens today, will I still be able to receive it?

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
yeah I do not believe that unlocked (or rooted) will make a difference, now if you removed any of the verizonware that is a different story...

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Just unlocked. Flashed a few roms but I didn't find any of them were better than stock ics

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Just unlocked. Flashed a few roms but I didn't find any of them were better than stock ics

What?

To answer your question.. If you're stock you should still get ota's...

But why on earth you would stay stock actually boggles my mind and angers me to a small extent... Lol. Flash aokp or something good. :)

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Lol I didn't mean to offend. Just didn't like the roms I tried. Never got around to aokp. If this update fails to materialize I might take a chance on the Kang

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Lol I didn't mean to offend. Just didn't like the roms I tried. Never got around to aokp. If this update fails to materialize I might take a chance on the Kang

I made the dive to AOKP a few weeks ago, the day before the 4.0.4 official 'leak' actually. So glad I did. IMO AOKP is fantastic. I have never tried the other ROMs but AOKP is highly stable and customizable. You really wont notice any bugs in the ROM and you will LOVE the added features. That is, if you decide to flash :)

I gave up waiting for Verizon. 5 (almost 5 1/2 ) months to fix a phone with broken software is completely and utterly bullocks.

wyseguy77

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site

Do it! Give it a few days to learn the customization options and you'll love it. Might wanna flash francos kernel with it too. Lightning fast and smooth for me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Peer pressure is starting to get to me lol. I am going to wait till the update fails to materialize before I decide to flash. I'll give it a few days.

Reactions: davey11

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
None of us, myself included, would push you onto bad shi. The user experience with a custom rom is worlds better than stock. Make a backup of your current setup and flash rom. Nothing to lose, lots to gain. :)

Yup, I'm on Tapatalk2 :)

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Oh I know. I have thought about flashing another rom. Just been waiting for the OTA that's all.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Just a quick question. With aokp does the battery life improve?

My take on battery life:
Yes, it does improve somewhat. But but not a big jump. Flashing different kernels and undervolting may make a small improvement. Some placebo effect here also I guess.
Problem lies in actually comparing battery between 2 setups. Having 2 same usage patterns between 2 roms is near impossible. So most comparisons are seat of the pants, hardly scientific.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
you can have the OTA (unofficial version it looks like but provided by google a few weeks ago) - rooted and ready to go.
there's a link in this forum somewhere but ive been drinking and im not about to look for it :)
if you want it i'll search tomorrow, its one of my threads tho if you want to take it on yourself to look.

if you're rooted and want the ota, why wait,
and why take it without root.

but like eveyrone has said. just flash aokp and thank us later :)

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Unlocked but not rooted. If the OTA fails to materialize I'm going to root tonight and flash kang

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I just wanted to say that all us crackflasher ppl who have been on these custom stuff for awhile could give a flying rip about the OTA. They are just that much better than any stock rom could ever dream of being.

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
I get it. I just hate skins like motoblur and the likes. It just seems like the roms I've tried feel like a skin over ics, that's all.

mraviator

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I get it. I just hate skins like motoblur and the likes. It just seems like the roms I've tried feel like a skin over ics, that's all.

I was like you. stock and all, not caring about making things look differently. But I went to AOKP yesterday and am loving that it's snappier and much more customization. I'm happy running AOKP and will stick with it.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

There's a lot of them that can feel that (most notably, the laggy mess that is MIUI), but really, a lot of roms for this phone are AOSP-based and focused on simplicity and speed. If you don't like a rom, wipe and flash another. It's awesome how much choice we have!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisashley2121