OTA fail after rooting - what now?

STC09

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
The OTA has failed twice now - prone 'bot with an exclamation mark - after it downloaded after I rooted via WUG's 1.3 and before I could replace the .su file. I now have Wug's 1.4, the phone is unlocked and rooted but still with stock ROM.

Should I simply run 1.4 or will the OTA keep downloading and nagging?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
The OTA has failed twice now - prone 'bot with an exclamation mark - after it downloaded after I rooted via WUG's 1.3 and before I could replace the .su file. I now have Wug's 1.4, the phone is unlocked and rooted but still with stock ROM.

Should I simply run 1.4 or will the OTA keep downloading and nagging?

You have a custom recovery. You need to either flash the stock recovery via Wug's or fastboot, or install the OTA manually following my guide (see signature).

Reactions: zero neck

STC09

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Okay, so I should flash the stock recovery via Wug's 1.4, install the OTA, then reroot after changing the model.

Thanks.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so I should flash the stock recovery via Wug's 1.4, install the OTA, then reroot after changing the model.

Thanks.

Yes - unless rootkeeper is still working? if it is, you can download rootkeeper, and when you update you should retain root.

Not sure if it still works bc i have never unrooted or applied an ota to my gnex. maybe someone else can chime in about that.

STC09

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Flashing stock recovery isn't enough - apparently "flash stock and unroot" is required. I thought I read something recently about that wiping user data though. I'll have to look around a little.

Attacking this from another direction, is there a way to delete the OTA download permanently?

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Flashing stock recovery isn't enough - apparently "flash stock and unroot" is required. I thought I read something recently about that wiping user data though. I'll have to look around a little.

Attacking this from another direction, is there a way to delete the OTA download permanently?

have you considered just flashing the OTA with root (as a rom, not as an update)?
if you are coming from 4.02 you don't need to wipe data, just cache and dalvik.

STC09

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I thought about that but these are still my first baby steps, so minimal action is probably best. If I flash 4.0.4 as a ROM, will that wipe the OTA?

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
If you are on 4.02, you can boot into cwm and flash the ROOT-enabled rom version of the update without losing data (you will only need to clear cache partition and dalvik cache).

On the other hand, baby steps or no, custom roms are where it's really at, and if you have a custom recovery going, I would just skip the first step (ota) because there's really not much going on there, and skip to something worth your time: such as AOKP build 38, or a more stock-like experience, such as redemption rom or bugless beast. These will require a data wipe, however, there are plenty of backup apps you can use with root, and in the end, clearing data isn't that big of a deal. Youll get used to it and the time it takes to get back set up will shrink.

Reactions: STC09

STC09

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Clockwork recovery should have been overwritten when I flashed stock recovery, shouldn't it? Otherwise, I'm unlocked and rooted on 4.0.2 with stock ROM and a nagging OTA.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
yeah it should be overwritten. you can reflash cwm thru rom manager if you want to do either of those options.

otherwise, I guess at this point if you want to just get the update, i would just go ahead and wipe data (backup what you can/need - TIB for apps, sms backup+, call log backups, sync all phone numbers to google, etc) - unroot with wugs, install update with wugs, reroot with rugs, get all the apps back* (before you wipe data you can use zegna app list to save a list with market links to get your apps back faster), then reroot with wugs.

Reactions: STC09

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon