OTA update this morning killed tons of apps.

1776_1865_RIP

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Swapped in a fresh battery and put the phone down came back to the keyboard tutorial... Update seems to have broken a ton of apps anyone else have the same?

Android

Baseband version

Kernel version
2.6.32.17-g9a2fc16 htc-kernel@u18000-Build-149 #1

Build number
3.26.605.1 CL264707 release-keys

Software number

Browser version
WebKit 3.1

PRI Version
1.28_002

PRL Version

ERI Version

Guess I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling what doesn't work.

1776_1865_RIP

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Broken apps

Pulse
Newsroom
Wifi Analyzer
Cam Scanner
Barcode Scanner
Dictionary.com
Astrid
Pure Calendar
XiiaLive
Pandora
MixZing
Audible
SoundHound
... and on and on

damn near everything

1776_1865_RIP

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
After checking versions it wasn't an update and my phone just decided to uninstall nearly every app on it... odd, should be a blast to reinstall everything.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
No, there was no OTA this morning. It would have been all over the front page if there were! ;)

@1776 - Did the phone lock up? Is that why you did the battery pull? It sounds like the battery was pulled before something was done writing to memory, hence the reset.

Can you provide more detail of what happened before you pulled the battery?

1776_1865_RIP

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I use a Seidio wall charger and just swap batteries when heading out or when they are low; I have been doing this without issue since the phone was released.

I really didn't pay attention to exactly what it said but thought it said something about an update. I kind though it was related to the security update but didn't think I had any of those malicious apps installed.

Regardless it wiped out most of my installed apps and a fair amount of what is still installed FCs when I try to run it. At this point I'm thinking about doing a reset since reinstalling doesn't appear to be helping much.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Bummer - but I think you are on the right path, sounds like a factory reset is in order. Good luck, let us know how it works.

For what it's worth, you may want to shut the phone down before switching batteries in the future.

1776_1865_RIP

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Went ahead and wiped it, hopefully I can get it back to where i like it before tomorrows drunken revelry.

As strange as this may sound it seems like my market account got corrupted. Going to the android market and looking at "My Orders" only showed my paid apps, all free apps were gone but if I browse them individually they still say installed. Uninstalling and reinstalling was the only way to get the missing apps and some others working (and back on the "My Orders" listing). Since I'm going to have to go through all that I may as well start with a clean slate.

veblenian

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
This same exact thing happened to my phone on monday morning. woke up to the phone showing a keyboard tutorial and none of the data stored on the SD card can be read by the phone. the card shows as being mounted but none of the data can be viewed or read by apps. all apps that are stored on the sd card or have data stored on the card are immediately forced closed when the phone starts up.

kind of strange. any thoughts?

1776_1865_RIP

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
In my case it was everything installed on the SD card but IIRC also a few of my non paid apps on the phone. If you log into https://market.android.com/ does it show all your installed apps?

Honestly I didn't look into this close to as well I might have if it wasn't Mardi Gras!!!.

Incrediboy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Could it be you have been affected by the rogue applications that Google is in the processing of deleting from our phones?

And that the "broken" applications were also subsequently infected??

There was mention of a quick push patch to phones that had been affected.

just a thought...

1776_1865_RIP

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I wondered about that but unless it was a mistake I doubt it, prior to this I checked if I had any of the suspect apps (all but a few utilities I have have been DLd from the market but you never know) and came up clean.

The broken apps started working if uninstalled and reinstalled so they weren't those removed by Google.

It seems like the phone had what was the equivalent of a corrupted registry in Windows.

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Mine went nuts today. FCs all over the place. I am running Cyanogen Nightly, but had not done any updates recently. I dl'ed CM7RC2 to try to install it and "fix" the issues, but Rom Manager failed to install it. Installed via CWM instead, and I still had FCs. Then I did a data & cache wipe via CWM, and that fixed the issue. Reinstalled apps via titanium backups.

It could be my sdcard, but it's odd that we all had this same type of catastrophic failure.

naga

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Hmm thought this was just me. Mine did it about a week ago. Most apps would go to force close when you tried to open them. Only think I could do was wipe the phone and start over, what ever it was it was nasty but so far appears to only have hit a handful of people.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Mine did that same thing months ago. Was getting force closes then locked up, so I did a battery pull and when phone came back on, it had been reset, everything gone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papeli