Out of date software but no updates available?

Apr 26, 2023
Visit site
So I've had my s23 Plus (AT&T) for a full month now and when I first got it I did all the updates until there were no more updates available but I haven't gotten one in a while and as you can see from my screenshot I'm behind especially in my security patch level which says March. But when I check for software updates it says my software is up to date. Is there something I can or should do?

Screenshot_20230528_085240_Settings.jpg

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Should be on May update, try connecting to Smart Switch on your PC and see if a update available , go in settings of Smart Switch under preference check the box to look for software update and allow your computer permission in beginning to trust your device.

If still nothing flash with Odin to latest Samsung firmware.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. Should be getting May by now. Even I got May a week ago on my S20 FE, and that was just a week after getting April a month late.

Just to make sure, are you actually on AT&T service too?

You wouldn't have gotten the initial updates if you weren't, but I'm just asking the standard questions.

It's possible that you got out of the update cycle somehow. It may take a few weeks to get you back on it. AT&T sends out updates for their branded Samsung phones from their own servers. They don't come direct from Samsung like every other carrier. That's why AT&T branded Samsung phones only get updates while on AT&T service connected to their towers.

That becomes more of a problem when someone buys an AT&T branded Samsung that is unlocked after-the-fact and tries to use it on another carrier in another part of the world. They can't get updates because the phone is still looking for the AT&T network for updates, and the network isn't there. Being unlocked doesn't change that. In those cases, the Odin method mentioned by Mustang is the only option.

For you, even on AT&T, things can get screwed up. If you go for more than 3 months without an update, it's possible the update server lost your IMEI-to-account connection. That has happened to AT&T customers over the past several years. Sometimes using the Odin method to load a more recent OS, even it it's not specifically for AT&T (since you can't get AT&T specific firmware outside of AT&T anyway), it will load AT&T support files afterwards and some users found that they started getting subsequent updates from AT&T again afterwards.

Apr 26, 2023
Visit site
Agreed. Should be getting May by now. Even I got May a week ago on my S20 FE, and that was just a week after getting April a month late.

Just to make sure, are you actually on AT&T service too?

You wouldn't have gotten the initial updates if you weren't, but I'm just asking the standard questions.

It's possible that you got out of the update cycle somehow. It may take a few weeks to get you back on it. AT&T sends out updates for their branded Samsung phones from their own servers. They don't come direct from Samsung like every other carrier. That's why AT&T branded Samsung phones only get updates while on AT&T service connected to their towers.

That becomes more of a problem when someone buys an AT&T branded Samsung that is unlocked after-the-fact and tries to use it on another carrier in another part of the world. They can't get updates because the phone is still looking for the AT&T network for updates, and the network isn't there. Being unlocked doesn't change that. In those cases, the Odin method mentioned by Mustang is the only option.

For you, even on AT&T, things can get screwed up. If you go for more than 3 months without an update, it's possible the update server lost your IMEI-to-account connection. That has happened to AT&T customers over the past several years. Sometimes using the Odin method to load a more recent OS, even it it's not specifically for AT&T (since you can't get AT&T specific firmware outside of AT&T anyway), it will load AT&T support files afterwards and some users found that they started getting subsequent updates from AT&T again afterwards.

That's interesting. When I originally updated my phone I got caught in an update Loop that I had issues with in detailed here (https://forums.androidcentral.com/threads/new-s23-caught-in-an-update-loop.1057365/). That didn't resolve itself until I went through the loop several times and cleared the cache of the Settings app. I wonder if that issue has something to do with my current problem?

And yes to answer your question I'm using the phone on AT&T.

Apr 26, 2023
Visit site
Update: I connected with Smart Switch and it says my software is up to date:
1685308096586.png

I wonder if it's the issue I mentioned in the post directly above about the update loop I had previously?

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Update: I connected with Smart Switch and it says my software is up to date:
View attachment 353637

I wonder if it's the issue I mentioned in the post directly above about the update loop I had previously?
Yeah. It's been known that on AT&T branded Samsungs if it can't find an update OTA, Smart Switch won't find it either.

Over a year ago, this was an ongoing thread over on the AT&T support forum with one user conversing with one of the few AT&T reps who knew what he was talking about. That rep was surprised to hear the updating through Smart Switch didn't work like it was supposed to.

Apparently, AT&T's engineers haven't fixed that yet.

Apr 26, 2023
Visit site
So my only option to get caught up on updates is to use Odin? Is there an article somewhere that explains how to do that? Am I going to be stuck with a phone that's outside AT&T's official updating system forever?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So my only option to get caught up on updates is to use Odin? Is there an article somewhere that explains how to do that? Am I going to be stuck with a phone that's outside AT&T's official updating system forever?
Follow steps here

Post#47

Frija doesn't have firmware for Att so use TMobile (TMB) CSC code and your model number

Reactions: Laura Knotek
Apr 26, 2023
Visit site
This isn't going to remove any AT&T stuff or add any TMobile stuff to my phone will it?

What were you notating about post 47? I see your instructions on post 38.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
This isn't going to remove any AT&T stuff or add any TMobile stuff to my phone will it?

What were you notating about post 47? I see your instructions on post 38.
In post #47 how to do the whole Odin and Frija

No it wouldn't add TMobile stuff or delete Att stuff as all carrier versions are interchangeable
fde11bc33cb2234e2ce510d0784d880f.jpg

Apr 26, 2023
Visit site
In post #47 how to do the whole Odin and Frija

No it wouldn't add TMobile stuff or delete Att stuff as all carrier versions are interchangeable
fde11bc33cb2234e2ce510d0784d880f.jpg

That's so weird as the exact same post shows up as post 38:
1685381655452.png

Anyway, I got Odin and Frija and some additional instructions and explanations, including video instructions I found from XDA, from the following links (providing in case they're helpful):

As a result I used the newest version of Odin instead of one of the patched Prince Comsey versions, and didn't bother with samfirm. Other than that, your instructions were pretty much the same just with some extra instructions like how to get into download mode, what the patched versions are, etc.

So I did the flash and got PASS. My only issue was I first accidentally put the phone into safety mode because I wasn't pressing the volume buttons right and so I had to set up a few things. But I think everything's working the way they're supposed to and my software now looks like this:

Screenshot_20230529_112407_Settings.jpg

So I think I'm now caught up. My only remaining questions are:

1.) Since I essentially "skipped" an update or two and only flashed the most recent update, is my phone missing all the fixes and whatever else from the skipped updates?
2.) Am I going to have to do this every month or so or is the expectation that my phone will eventually get back in sync with the AT&T servers?

Reactions: mustang7757

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
View attachment 353675

Anyway, I got Odin and Frija and some additional instructions and explanations, including video instructions I found from XDA, from the following links (providing in case they're helpful):

As a result I used the newest version of Odin instead of one of the patched Prince Comsey versions, and didn't bother with samfirm. Other than that, your instructions were pretty much the same just with some extra instructions like how to get into download mode, what the patched versions are, etc.

So I did the flash and got PASS. My only issue was I first accidentally put the phone into safety mode because I wasn't pressing the volume buttons right and so I had to set up a few things. But I think everything's working the way they're supposed to and my software now looks like this:

View attachment 353676

1.) Since I essentially "skipped" an update or two and only flashed the most recent update, is my phone missing all the fixes and whatever else from the skipped updates?
2.) Am I going to have to do this every month or so or is the expectation that my phone will eventually get back in sync with the AT&T servers?
Awesome 👍
For first question no your on the latest security so won't be missing anything .

Second question as long as ATT rolled out the same build number u will continue getting OTA if it isn't then you would have to flash the next updates untill ATT rolled same build number.

Reactions: The Binary Son
Apr 26, 2023
Visit site
Awesome 👍
For first question no your on the latest security so won't be missing anything .

Second question as long as ATT rolled out the same build number u will continue getting OTA if it isn't then you would have to flash the next updates untill ATT rolled same build number.
If that's the case it might be a while as it looks (assuming I'm looking at the right page) that the base number is VERY similar but not the same, they list the Android security patch level is April and not list May, and what's worse, all the updates for the S23 phones are listed as being for Android 12, not 13:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
If that's the case it might be a while as it looks (assuming I'm looking at the right page) that the base number is VERY similar but not the same, they list the Android security patch level is April and not list May, and what's worse, all the updates for the S23 phones are listed as being for Android 12, not 13:

I'm actually on 4-day mini vacation and won't be back until Wednesday, so I'll check what's the latest on carrier when I get back , WiFi stinks here and no computer.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

Whoa... that's not right. The S23 launched with Android 13.

AT&T has been pretty poor at keeping their software information page going. For many of their devices (including mine), they let those pages go for a whole year. The S21 and S22 phones didn't even have a "current software" page for quite a while. They have it for all devices now, and at least they mostly look correct.

Just substitute "13" for the "12" when looking at that page for your phone. Probably just a typo.

Reactions: The Binary Son
Apr 26, 2023
Visit site
Interesting update: tried checking for software updates this morning. Usually it doesn't actually check and just immediately shows me the screen that says no updates available. However this morning, it actually tried to check for updates and the four dots spun for a while. Unfortunately, I got error messages - two different messages for the two different times I checked. I was connected to both data and wifi both times. I'll leave it alone for today, but what could this mean?

First error message:

Screenshot_20230603_082849_Software Update.jpg

Second error message:

Screenshot_20230603_083857_Software Update.jpg

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
For the record, I have unlocked Samsung on AT&T and am still on May 1 security patch. Unlocked phones are always last, I think - but lol, it's June.
65227f289a32389723108e515e73fee2.jpg

Venom0642

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
View attachment 353675

View attachment 353676

The Odin3 Patch Prince is only to be used for flashing unlocked Firmware on a Locked firmware and with no wipe as long as you don't use CSC and use in place Home_CSC that won't wipe your phone AT&T, Also if you was to go back to locked firmware then you have to use Official Odin3 not the patched one or it will fail hope this help as well.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
For the record, I have unlocked Samsung on AT&T and am still on May 1 security patch. Unlocked phones are always last, I think - but lol, it's June.
65227f289a32389723108e515e73fee2.jpg
June 3rd. Samsung is never so quick with their updates. They tend to be several days to two weeks into the month before issuing an update.