Owners Review / Comments

FlynnJ

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
I have not seen anything recent from the forums regarding the Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet. I wanted to be able to help anyone regarding questions, concerns and anything else.

I'm coming from no previous experience with any tablet from any OS but I have had Blackberry's and Android phones.

My reason for purchasing this tablet was primarily the ability to use a real stylus with it; last year of University. The other OS' do not have an accurate option and I decided to go with this over the HTC Flyer mostly because of the OS version, accessory options, My Script (Writing application) and screen size.

Aside from the "interesting" process of purchasing the device, it just arrived yesterday. I'm enjoying Honeycomb and my annoyances are very low.

It's black, it's thinner than expected, it makes my Galaxy SII feel light as air but that being said it's not heavy either.

No flash for the camera, the back feels like a HTC device.

Pen was not included in stock price, but there is a spot for a SIM card.

I'm not about to go into all the spec's that's what the website is for.

Battery charges very quickly and I've had it on since 11:00am and at the time of writing this (6:28pm) it's at 72%.

Pen works great, I'm using a combination of ezPDF reader and Dropbox to store/sync/edit.

ezPDF is acceptable, the freehand tool (while it is the best I've seen) is really poor. It has no erase function and you are limited to undoing pen strokes. It has no recognition for your palm either. I'm used to OneNote for PC tablets and so I guess I've been spoiled.

If anyone knows of a decent PDF editor let me know!

Webpages don't appear very crisp in landscape mode for the stock browser.

YouTube is absent, I do not understand why this is? I'm in Canada, jokes aside, all my other devices have had YouTube!

A robust stock(as in from Lenovo, not the stock exchanger) file manager would be nice.

Calendar is amazing, I like the idea of a quick tab for favourtie apps, not just recently used ones. Killing tasks in the recent apps list is just a no brainer, I love it.

MaxBuck2

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
What problems have you had with ezPDF for annotating pdfs with handwritten notes? This is one of the most important tools I need to have in a tablet.

FlynnJ

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
ezPDF's interface is difficult to get used to, specially from a file management perspective. In terms of the file management perspective I store all my files in DropBox then open them with ezPDF and it auto saves it to "the cloud".

In terms of the actual process of annotating .pdf's theres a lot of problems.

To start writing with the stylus, you need to long press the sheet, choose the freehand annotation method and then begin (3 steps). These steps need to be repeated for every slide, and you always need to confirm you are done writing on a slide by clicking ok. Before you click ok you can undo pen strokes, and that's the only form of erasing the app has.

Lastly, it has no recognition for the palm of your hand versus the pen.

Ideally the app should let you enter a "annotation mode" and then have a simple interface for pen styles, thickness, colour and an eraser. None of this is present.

The interface is rather poor and there's no guide as to how the app works. The only reason I use it is because it's the only one out there right now....that I know of.

The accuracy of the pen is great but I also know this is mostly due to Lenovo and not ezPDF.

Hope that helps.

mccool

May 7, 2011
Visit site
So I've had the tablet for a few days now and I'm leaning towards returning / selling it. I had high hopes for it's note taking ability (which was my primary reason for purchasing a tablet) and it just doesn't feel good enough.

Overall the tablet has a great feel and I actually like the looks and the hardware buttons, but it's just not worth the money if the inking experience isn't at least as good as a typical tablet pc. I don't even really care about handwriting recognition as so much as overall feel and smoothness of the experience.

Anyhow - if anyone in the Chicago area wants to play around w/ one, send me a message.

FlynnJ

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
The MyScript note taking app is amazing, but as far as I can see it does not allow for the import of .pdfs which is when you then move to apps to meet your .pdf needs. In turn, this then creates a division of where your notes are stored and thus the need for better file management.

Giblet

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I've been using mine for a little over a month now. I use ez pdf reader to annotate pdf's with no problem. There are two things that would make this tablet much better though and I hope they are implemented. The first is the availability of the keyboard. There is not even a hint of when they will be shipping. Second is the ability to turn off touch input all together, fr easier note taking and annotation. Thre are other quirks here or there but those are my big two.

Waterboy01

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
I was looking at one of these for school and was wondering if you would recommend it for that or if you think there is a better tablet out there for school

dkravets

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Just got the Lenovo leather folio keyboard/case. Keyboard is very nice, but the folio is bulky (more than 2x iPad+hardcase keyboard uPlay). It's also heavy. My last complaint is that it's a pain to put the tablet into the keyboard case and a pain to take it out. Also, you can only use the tablet in landscape mode.

czm2000

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I have both ezPDF and Repligo Reader (wichita was the first to offer annotating) and I actually prefer Repligo Reader. You should give it a try, let me know how it works for you.

czm2000

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I have a question for ya. Can you download Hulu + from the market? I mean, is it even there as a choice for you. If you're a Hulu + subscriber I'd also be interested in how well it works. Thanks.