P20 Pro Dead after four days

cmhsam

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
So I took the plunge and bought the P20 Pro from Vodafone while vacationing in Italy. Paid $899 Euro and the device was working flawlessly until yesterday.

The device had battery life remaining of 29% and suddenly turned off. Now the device will not turn on the and the notification light has a solid red light. I have tried to hold down power button and the volume up button with no avail. I tried several different chargers and also tried plugging it into my PC which did not work as well.

Today I called Vodafone and couldnt get anyone who spoke english to help. I called Huawei customer support and they would not help me.

Any suggestions? Am I out of luck after spending $1100 USD? Short of going back to Italy and walking into the Vodafone store asking for an exchange, since its within 14 days, i dont know what else to do.

Thanks in advance.

UPDATE: So I was able to get phone turned on and was able to do a factory reset and erecovery using the Huawei erecovery tool on the phone. Still no luck. Keep coming back to the same menu asking for a factory wipe/reset or erecovery.

Going to try the xda forums and also found some tools online to use my PC to flash to stock firmware.

Good news - I have a working p20 pro that we bought from TIM in blue which is working flawlessly and I am learning alot on Android coming from ios and my iPhone x. P20 pro is a way better phone

Last edited:

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Can you get an Italian speaker on your end? Maybe they can help and translate also. Additionally maybe an email to Vodafone Italy? I'm quite certain they have English speakers at their corporate offices, they can have an English speaker handle your email. I was able to get an issue I had resolved with a hotel in Spain, via email. They had an English speaker help me. (Pro tip: Apologize for not knowing their language, and THEN explain your situation.)

PS Is Vodafone your carrier? Have you tried calling them locally? In England or wherever. :)

cmhsam

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Can you get an Italian speaker on your end? Maybe they can help and translate also. Additionally maybe an email to Vodafone Italy? I'm quite certain they have English speakers at their corporate offices, they can have an English speaker handle your email. I was able to get an issue I had resolved with a hotel in Spain, via email. They had an English speaker help me. (Pro tip: Apologize for not knowing their language, and THEN explain your situation.)

PS Is Vodafone your carrier? Have you tried calling them locally? In England or wherever. :)

Thanks for the advice. Will give it a shot. Vodafone is not my carrier as i am in the US. I am owned by AT&T.

TurdRon_FergusonBurgundy

Jul 10, 2018
Visit site
So I took the plunge and bought the P20 Pro from Vodafone while vacationing in Italy. Paid $899 Euro and the device was working flawlessly until yesterday.

The device had battery life remaining of 29% and suddenly turned off. Now the device will not turn on the and the notification light has a solid red light. I have tried to hold down power button and the volume up button with no avail. I tried several different chargers and also tried plugging it into my PC which did not work as well.

Today I called Vodafone and couldnt get anyone who spoke english to help. I called Huawei customer support and they would not help me.

Any suggestions? Am I out of luck after spending $1100 USD? Short of going back to Italy and walking into the Vodafone store asking for an exchange, since its within 14 days, i dont know what else to do.

Thanks in advance.

This is the exact reason I don't purchase phones outside of my region. Great if there are no issues but if issues arise one may be SOL. Hope you can get it sorted.

Marco Kortig

Aug 22, 2018
Visit site
Once I was thinking of getting new phone abroad, as price was way cheaper there but then I realised that if gets broken I might get into the trouble as you are now... :-!

cmhsam

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Well after no help from vodafone outside of going back to italy or finding a huawei store in the usa i did some digging and used the original italian charger and it seems to have powered on. Will let you know the end result.

BTW - vodafone support says they dont sell phones, just sim cards, lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis