Palm style contact search?

mattf#AC

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
One thing I REALLY miss from my palm was the way it searched contacts. Palm would let you type the first letter of the first name, then the first letter of the last name and base the search on that. So for instance if you wanted to search for Steve Smith, you could type SS. 9 times out of ten that would find exactly the contact you were looking for with no extraneous results. But if you continued typing the last name, it would narrow down the results further. It's a much more efficient way to navigate to the contact as opposed to typing Steve or Smith and having to wade through the multiple matches it produces.

In my many years of experience with Palm, I rarely had to type more than three letters to get a single result of the search. It was highly efficient.

Does anyone know of a replacement contact manager that can do this?

Thanks!

LoopyLyle#AC

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I missed that from my Palm Treo, but found it again on my Fascinate by typing out the letters of the desired name on the 1-9 phone keypad. On my phone matching names appear as I type each digit/character and there is a drop down menu to choose the desired match. Don't know if you phone supports this, but you may want to give it a try.

SoftWyer

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Download the Quick Search Box, if you haven't already got it. You can add this widget to your home screen and it will give you a search as you type facility. Make sure you add it with the contacts provider, otherwise you get mainly search results.

(Hmm, having re-read your initial post, then this won't give you firstname/surname character searching - nice idea though, I might use that ;-) )

Last edited:

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Can't quite do what Palm did. Sucks. But, either DialerOne or aTakephone get pretty close. I've used both and like both. They beat the daylights out of the built in nonintuitive crap.

SoftWyer

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
mattf,

Other than first initial and surname, did it do anything else?

I can probably replicate this behaviour in Contact Lookup Pro and anything similar you mention.

However, I envisage that if you search for Steve Smith using 'ss' then it will pick up 'Mike' who sells 'Dental Floss'. 'ssm' would narrow it down.

This would work from the Quick Search box, or the Contact Lookup Application. It wouldn't work from any other application.

mattf#AC

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
mattf,

However, I envisage that if you search for Steve Smith using 'ss' then it will pick up 'Mike' who sells 'Dental Floss'. 'ssm' would narrow it down.

No, actually 'ss' would not on a palm find Dental Floss. Similarly it would not find a contact named "Cassie." But it would find a contact named "ssam baker," for instance.

The way Palm explained it in the manual, it was designed to get you the contact you wanted with the least amount of typing possible, and they had found that a combination of first initial followed by then beginning to spell out the last name would usually get you there with the least keystrokes. It gave you the option to search the old way at the same time by using only either the first or last name, but once I learned the initial thing I never went back.

And yes, there was the "live updating" feature of narrowing down of results as you continued to type.

I'd certainly buy any app that gave me this option!

SoftWyer

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
No, actually 'ss' would not on a palm find Dental Floss. Similarly it would not find a contact named "Cassie." But it would find a contact named "ssam baker," for instance.

And yes, there was the "live updating" feature of narrowing down of results as you continued to type.

I'd certainly buy any app that gave me this option!

The major difference, from the sound of it, is that you were only ever searching names on the palms. Contact Lookup searches all the contact fields, and it doesn't know that when you type 'fog' that you want 'Fred Ogden' and not the 'Anti-Fog visor cleaner' mentioned in an obscure note field.

I'll add it to Contact Lookup Fast and Contact Lookup Pro, as having just tried it, it does find those contacts quickly, as many names do not start with vowels (in English) and cut down the other hits anyway mainly due to having two strange consonants together. As you mentioned, three characters does seem to narrow the field down substantially.

Before splashing out any money on these paid apps, I'd try Contact Lookup (free) and Contact View (free) together to see if their usage works for you. If you add a Quick Search Box (Google Search) widget to the home screen and choose Contact Lookup as the provider, you can search for names, click one to go to Contact View and then choose to call, email, etc. from there.

Last edited:

JosefCarlin

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Contact Lookup is a great application! Comes a long way to matching the WebOS search. A couple of quick questions. What are the difference between the free and the Pro version? If you had a video of the WebOS on the Palm Pre would that help your development efforts?

The thing I most liked about the WebOS is that after the second character of the search term WebOS begins displaying the results in a scrollable list, and every addition character simply shortens that scrollable list. There is never any need to push a search buttom to display the results.

Any way 5 stars, brilliant user interface.

JosefCarlin

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Contact Lookup is a great application! Comes a long way to matching the WebOS search. A couple of quick questions. What are the difference between the free and the Pro version? If you had a video of the WebOS on the Palm Pre would that help your development efforts?

The thing I most liked about the WebOS is that after the second character of the search term WebOS begins displaying the results in a scrollable list, and every addition character simply shortens that scrollable list. There is never any need to push a search buttom to display the results.

Any way 5 stars, brilliant user interface.

SoftWyer

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
The main difference between PRO and FREE is that PRO searches all the contact categories. There's more details on the differences on the blog.

You can enable 'search whilst typing' on the PRO and FAST versions. You also get this behaviour on the free version if you use the Quick Search Box, though FREE doesn't do the Palm style lookup.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lisab126