PC Hangs in BIOS USB discover w/Android phone attached

dessa

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
I've got a MSI X58 Platinum SLI motherboard with (AMI) BIOS version 3.60 (latest).
If an Android phone (well, OK, I can really only say the two we've had in the house,
1) Moto Cliq that my wife didn't like and returned for a
2) My Touch 3G, which she does like and has kept)
is connected via USB to the computer when it reboots, the computer hangs in the BIOS when it is discovering what USB devices are connected.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?
Any idea how to fix this issue?
Any brilliant stabs in the dark? :D
[And yes, I'm also asking on the MSI forum and have searched T-Mobile's, this one, and several other Android fori with no luck so far.]

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Thats understandable. The BIOS (all BIOS - this isn't a MSI specific issue) only knows how to activate and use a select few devices. It gets confused when it sees a USB device that is set up for two way comm and will not respond in a way that its programmed to use.

If you have USB debugging enabled on the phone (required for interaction with the phones OS) shut it off until the PC completely boots. Re-enable it and you'll see that Windows (i'm presuming) has to load specific drivers to set up the i/o with the device.

Recommended fix - don't reboot PC with phone attached or use a 2 wire cable if your just using the PC to charge the phone.

dessa

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
Thats understandable. The BIOS (all BIOS - this isn't a MSI specific issue) only knows how to activate and use a select few devices. It gets confused when it sees a USB device that is set up for two way comm and will not respond in a way that its programmed to use.

If you have USB debugging enabled on the phone (required for interaction with the phones OS) shut it off until the PC completely boots. Re-enable it and you'll see that Windows (i'm presuming) has to load specific drivers to set up the i/o with the device.

Recommended fix - don't reboot PC with phone attached or use a 2 wire cable if your just using the PC to charge the phone.

I'll have to check on the USB debugging (when I can pry it out of my wife's hands!). Not enabled on purpose, BUT,
as old PalmOS hands, we are using CompanionLink to sync to Palm Desktop over USB and I don't know what it is doing. [Yes, Windows - version 7 x64.]

It is easy enough to work around (unplug while booting!) but I have to admit that I did find it suprizing. I've had any number of devices USB connected before, without trouble, including PDAs and smartphones.

Thanks again.

dessa

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
I'll have to check on the USB debugging (when I can pry it out of my wife's hands!). ...
I'm an Android newbie and can't find anything obvious in the Settings menu or from the notification drop-down. Can someone tell me where to look for USB debugging settings?

Last edited:

redman213

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Shot in the dark but could your BIOS be set to launch OS's from USB first then HD? Might not be the case but if you can plug in like a flash drive and have it boot fine its an android/cellphone issue.

dessa

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
Shot in the dark but could your BIOS be set to launch OS's from USB first then HD? Might not be the case but if you can plug in like a flash drive and have it boot fine its an android/cellphone issue.

Good thought! [Again, great minds think alike :)]
I did check the BIOS and disabled booting from all but specific devices.

The weird thing is that it really IS in the "discovery" phase and not trying to boot yet.

For example, I can hit the "DEL"ete key and get the "Entering SETUP..." response and it will hang during the:
Auto-detecting USB
Mass Storage Devices...
Device #01 : Generic Flash HS-CF !!
Device #02 : Generic Device HS-COMBO
Device #03 : <hangs here>

Once, when I was booting from power off, it got as far as actually displaying the BIOS before it hung.

Just one of those bizarre, annoying things that I seem to attract like gnats :(