Pebble Time Steel

KahneFan

Jul 17, 2011
www.ezthemer.com
Well, Pebble has added the Time Steel to their Kickstarter Campaign. I have not contributed, but can someone clarify how Kickstarter works? If I had contributed to the Time and then they came out with the Time Steel, I'd probably be a little upset - unless the funds can be transferred to that option?

As for the watch itself, is it worth $250? I'm on the fence. You can get many other watches for about the same price or not much more, which would seem to be "smarter" than the Time Steel. However, they won't last 7 days.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Your first question is a good one. If no one can help you here, ask Kickstarter yourself: https://www.kickstarter.com/contact?ref=faqs.

I really like how the Time Steel looks so far. I have the original Pebble Steel, which I like a lot. I'm old school, so I still like a watch to be a watch, and therefore I want the screen on all the time. Now that Pebble has better Android Wear compatibility, it's even more functional. And I still think the existing Android Wear watches are too big for my wrist, while the Pebbles are just the right size. Regarding the new Pebble Timeline interface, the jury is still out.

KahneFan

Jul 17, 2011
www.ezthemer.com
Your first question is a good one. If no one can help you here, ask Kickstarter yourself: https://www.kickstarter.com/contact?ref=faqs.

I really like how the Time Steel looks so far. I have the original Pebble Steel, which I like a lot. I'm old school, so I still like a watch to be a watch, and therefore I want the screen on all the time. Now that Pebble has better Android Wear compatibility, it's even more functional. And I still think the existing Android Wear watches are too big for my wrist, while the Pebbles are just the right size. Regarding the new Pebble Timeline interface, the jury is still out.

Maybe that's the other thing. I could be a minority, but I like the original Steel look (wear it every day). I don't know that I'm sold on the rounded edges of the new style.

Aglet

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
I haven't seen a report of Pebble Time Steel dimensions yet, I'm hoping it will fit nicely under a long sleeve shirt. My Original Pebble can be a struggle if the cuffs are tighter than standard, but it's 11.5 mm thick and rectangular so it was never going to be easy.

Pebble Steel is a slightly slimmer 10.5 mm thick and I saw a report that the Pebble Time Steel is thinner again. Other completely square watch I can think of is Apple Watch which is a chunky 12.6 mm, so short sleeve business shirts and polos only I'd say.

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Just to clarify the whole Kickstarter thing (and this is ONLY for Kickstarter and NOT other crowd funding platforms)...

When you pledge any amount towards a Kickstarter campaign you must provide credit or debit card information at that time. However, no money actually changes hands (no charges are made) until the campaign completes its scheduled campaign time (usually 30 days, but can vary from campaign to campaign) AND is successfully funded (i.e. reaches it's goal).

Here is an example:
I launch a Kickstarter campaign seeking $100,000 dollars lasting 30 days. If my backers pledge $100,000 or more in 30 days than my campaign is successful. Everyone that pledged gets charged their pledge amount at the end of the campaign and I receive the funds (minus Kickstarter's fees) shortly thereafter. If my campaign does NOT reach $100,000 in 30 days, no one gets charged anything and I get nothing... Campaign is over. All or nothing... Again, this just applies to Kickstarter NOT other crowd funding platforms.

To the OP's question about changing your pledge during a campaign, backers are allowed to change their pledge as many times as they want or even cancel their entire pledge at any time during the campaign. Once the campaign is over, that's it... Your locked in. So, in this case, you could simply change your pledge from a pebble time to a pebble time steel.

Keep in mind tho, that some "tiers" or rewards are restricted to a certain number of backers (commonly referred to as "early birds"). If you give up an early bird spot and someone takes your place and they all fill up, your out of luck.

Sorry for the long post... Kickstarter addict here (if you couldn't tell :) ) .