People to Follow on Play Store is Creepy

Bbeelzebub

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
How does the "People" section in the Play store make suggestions for people to follow?

I had another google account that I closed and it clearly was getting them from my contacts. It creeped me out a bit as I'm ridiculously cautious as to any type of web presence for work. I deleted that account, created a new one and have never put any contacts on my phone nor on the google servers. I use a third party contact app from Verizon that is in the cloud now. I have no Google+ account and don't even use gmail on that account, it is tied to a private email address.

Today I notice it is suggesting people I know from 20 years ago. People I went to high school with that I haven't spoken to in years. Not just one or two, but like ten. What are the odds??? I am assuming it is geographically based but would like to hear more. It's just odd to me. Thankfully it's no longer suggesting business associates, etc. because it no longer has access to that info on my new account.

Also, since I have no Google+ account and don't ever plan on creating one, does this mean that I do not show up to them or would I still show up?

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
How does the "People" section in the Play store make suggestions for people to follow?

I had another google account that I closed and it clearly was getting them from my contacts. It creeped me out a bit as I'm ridiculously cautious as to any type of web presence for work. I deleted that account, created a new one and have never put any contacts on my phone nor on the google servers. I use a third party contact app from Verizon that is in the cloud now. I have no Google+ account and don't even use gmail on that account, it is tied to a private email address.

Today I notice it is suggesting people I know from 20 years ago. People I went to high school with that I haven't spoken to in years. Not just one or two, but like ten. What are the odds??? I am assuming it is geographically based but would like to hear more. It's just odd to me. Thankfully it's no longer suggesting business associates, etc. because it no longer has access to that info on my new account.

Also, since I have no Google+ account and don't ever plan on creating one, does this mean that I do not show up to them or would I still show up?

Suggestions can be based on lots of things--often, your Facebook contacts, your gmail contacts or G+ circles.

Bbeelzebub

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
The google account doesn't have gmail associated with it (you can have a google account without gmail), nor a G+ account and I don't even have the Facebook app installed on my phone. I purposely set up my phone this way with a new google account to prevent them from linking me to people. Considering it hasn't linked me to any of my actual friends so far, I think it means I was successful.

Just odd though that it's recommending people from High School back in 1993. I even use a fake name on my google account.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
The google account doesn't have gmail associated with it (you can have a google account without gmail), nor a G+ account and I don't even have the Facebook app installed on my phone. I purposely set up my phone this way with a new google account to prevent them from linking me to people. Considering it hasn't linked me to any of my actual friends so far, I think it means I was successful.

Just odd though that it's recommending people from High School back in 1993. I even use a fake name on my google account.

Could be from participating in the same things (like looking at articles that relate the exploits of your old high school football team; whatever) and it seeing that guy lists himself as being from that HS and thus just a coincidence. Contacts can be read from many other lists, too, however. It's not just gmail and FB. It may be able to pull, depending on settings, Yahoo contacts, etc.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nssimpson