Perhaps a stupid question RE: browsing with 4G & wi-fi both on

fireplug

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
If I have them both on... which one does the browser and other apps default to? I guess I am curious if whichever is faster gets used or if one always is used over the other.

B-RAN

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Re: Perhaps a stupid question RE: browsing with 4G & wi-fi both o

It is my understanding that Wifi will always default when available. If you have Wifi on it should show in your status bar and the 4G/3G will disappear.

Reactions: fireplug

SonicJoe

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
On my OG Droid, the vzw connection shuts off when I enable wireless and connect to a wireless network. I won't have my Bionic until tomorrow, but would assume the same thing happens. Afterall, the main purpose of connecting to wifi is to avoid using vzw (either to avoid data charges if not on the unlimited plan, or because your wireless is faster).

jlukes

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

I have noticed that with the Bionic the 4G/3G doesn't disappear with WIFI on, but I do notice that the up and down arrows do not light up when browsing and downloading - which to me means that the phone is using the WiFi connection

Timmaaay4

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site

my question is how if i have a dual band router with wireless n, why can i only see the b/g channel, on the phone??

fireplug

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Thanks everyone. Now I will just have to decide which is faster on any given day. ;)

ChevyNovaLN

Jul 24, 2011
www.ChevyNovaLN.com

my question is how if i have a dual band router with wireless n, why can i only see the b/g channel, on the phone??

Is your Wireless N radio on your router running on 5ghz ?

I have a feeling the 'card' in the Bionic is 2.4ghz b/g/n

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

Thanks everyone. Now I will just have to decide which is faster on any given day. ;)

Speed-wise I'd guess it's LTE. I got about 17/5 (up/down) on my phone running LTE and 10/1 on wifi. Obviously the wifi connections will vary based on the ISP.

Battery-wise Wifi will preserve your battery longer, as LTE radio does drain it a decent amount.

I currently have both on right now at work to see what a normal day of usage is going to be for me.

Running it all morning tomorrow and deep into the night (tailgating then UM/ND game :) ) will give me a decent test of what to exepct. I fully expect to use my car charger tomorrow.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site

I asked a similar question about having 3G being on with WiFi on. (Dont have 4G in my area)

The 3G/4G icons will not disappear when you are on Wifi. Even though your phone is using Wifi for its data connection.

If you notice your 4g/3g will turn white.

If the 3g/4g network is in use it will turn blue but white when not in use.

So Wifi will turn on and also turn blue.

xjoshuax89

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site

Yeah but its not using your 3g/4g connection when on wifi.

Hierarchy prioritizes wifi over any of the 4g/3g/1x/roaming.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Very-Annoyed