Perspective Droid User

passtheboll

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
I currently have a Tour with Verizon and I'm sick of it. I'm on my 3rd one in 4 months. So I'm definitely switching, and I've heard lots of good stuff about the Droid. What are the ups and downs of it in your personal opinion?

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I currently have a Tour with Verizon and I'm sick of it. I'm on my 3rd one in 4 months. So I'm definitely switching, and I've heard lots of good stuff about the Droid. What are the ups and downs of it in your personal opinion?

Battery life is the main downer, IMHO.

Since you are coming from a BlackBerry background may I also suggest you take a look at the new Devour? It's the same form factor as the Droid but a better keyboard and the social networking integration is amazing. Only real drawbacks are the smaller screen and the fact that it is running Android 1.6 so no more than one Gmail account :-( I have both if you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

passtheboll

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm personally interested in the Droid, I've tried both and the Droid wins hands down. What's the battery life like on the Droid? And can you get spare batteries?

G

GenericMessage

I'm personally interested in the Droid, I've tried both and the Droid wins hands down. What's the battery life like on the Droid? And can you get spare batteries?

You can get a spare, but you probably don't need it unless you're away from a USB port or your car or a wall outlet for a extended periods of time.

The battery is pretty horrid, unless you turn off your brightness, gps, backround sync, never use wifi, or basically ever look at it.

That screen is a beauty but drinks that juice.

Trust me, you will love it even if you're charging it mid-day. And I have to charge mine mid day, because I cannot keep me mits of it!

passtheboll

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
You can get a spare, but you probably don't need it unless you're away from a USB port or your car or a wall outlet for a extended periods of time.

The battery is pretty horrid, unless you turn off your brightness, gps, backround sync, never use wifi, or basically ever look at it.

That screen is a beauty but drinks that juice.

Trust me, you will love it even if you're charging it mid-day. And I have to charge mine mid day, because I cannot keep me mits of it!

Well I had the iPhone, so that's not a foreign concept to me! And my current BB has horrid battery life too, so I had to get a spare battery for it. I'm sure this can't be too much worse.

G

GenericMessage

Well I had the iPhone, so that's not a foreign concept to me! And my current BB has horrid battery life too, so I had to get a spare battery for it. I'm sure this can't be too much worse.

Naw, its basically on-par with most smart phones.

rick707

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
Coming from someone that really liked his tour (and I had great battery life unless I used GPS on it)

Cons:
1. no bluetooth voice dialing
2. somewhat poor email experience except with gmail
3. the keyboard isn't in the same league
4. the speakerphone isn't as good as the tours IMO but not far off
5. the droid has poor sound customizations compared to blackberry (if someone knows of a app that makes it close, let me know)
6. while i haven't had dropped calls, I don't believe the call quality is as good on the droid as it was on the tour especially on the receivers end (mine is almost always good)

pros:
1. much better app selection obviously
2. much better web browsing
3. much larger screen
4. easy to customize
5. it takes seconds to load/download/update apps compared to a very very very long time with the tour
6. it doesn't take 3-6 minutes to reboot!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7. endless options

rooktdphi

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Switched from a curve to Droid. My only con is the Facebook app. Notifications are pushed every 30 mins, so you typically get email first.

Otherwise I love the Droid. It's much more user friendly and fluid than bb. Fluid is the best way to explain it, the software makes it very simple in integrating all functions.

Good luck and hope you make the jump!

duffer900

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Well Said the Rick...

I agree with all you have said. Having owned 3 different BB's, Iphones and Nokia's, I love my Motorola Milestone. Works great, endless customization and the functionality is great for me. You do lose some things as mentioned above, however you gain so much more...

G

GenericMessage

Coming from someone that really liked his tour (and I had great battery life unless I used GPS on it)

Cons:
5. the droid has poor sound customizations compared to blackberry (if someone knows of a app that makes it close, let me know)
6. while i haven't had dropped calls, I don't believe the call quality is as good on the droid as it was on the tour especially on the receivers end (mine is almost always good)

pros:
3. much larger screen
4. easy to customize
5. it takes seconds to load/download/update apps compared to a very very very long time with the tour
7. endless options

I agree, the lack of BT dial is insanely annoying, but I got the car dock to remedy that so I do sorta......just not the one touch on the outside of the headset kind.

The keyboard.....well its something you get used to. The lack of raised keys does bother me some, but after a month of typing away, you learn to use it easily.

What sound customization do you refer to?

Fatasaurus

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
and THIS bugs me...its grammer,not gramma. gramma bakes cakes and cookies. lol

lol u do realize u spelled it wrong too rite?! lol its grammar... not gramma or grammer lol but much love to weasel cuz hes helped me out a LOT!

back to the actual purpose of this thread...

the droid is great. i have had every smartphone imaginable and this is my favorite by far. everything the rick said is pretty on par. the battery life isnt terrible but ur not gonna make it the whole day on one charge. i just bluetooth headphones and listen to music all day and i can make it almost 8hrs on a charge. if i dont listen to music and twitter and surf the web all day i get about the same kind of life. i definitely recommend keepin a charger with u. its just more convenient and u then u dont have to worry about it. as far as sound goes. i have a different ringtone for EVERYTHING! the only difference is theres no sound profiles so u cant set it to ring differently depending on the setting that ur in. other than that its just as customizable as an other phone if not more.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Apparently, we all need to get a spelling vocabulary app for our Droids.

+1 me not spell too good sometimes. :D

On your BB the email experience is much better, however the droid is more than adiquate. If you are a BES user the thing I miss most about moving to Active-Sync on the Droid, is the ability to search the corporate directory as I could on BES.

Other than that, the Droid is worlds better than any current RIM product.

pops.comp

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
With all this talk of poor spelling, I kinda miss the spell check for emails from my BB, both other than that I don't miss my BB at all..

myriad46

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
+1 me not spell too good sometimes. :D

On your BB the email experience is much better, however the droid is more than adiquate. If you are a BES user the thing I miss most about moving to Active-Sync on the Droid, is the ability to search the corporate directory as I could on BES.

Other than that, the Droid is worlds better than any current RIM product.

Adequate, not adiquate, or were you just testing us?

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site

You're having poor battery life on the Tour? Really? That surprises me it's great for me. And I second the suggestion of a second battery. When you first get the Droid it will seem like it has pretty bad battery life but after a few days use and recharge it does get a lot better.

Cons:

pros:
3. much larger screen
4. easy to customize
7. endless options

I can agree with all of this except for the call quality and that's mostly because I don't have much experience actually calling with either phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelchairpilot