Phone battery and CPU overheats in minutes while doing nothing and it has weird problem with audio

elpatho

Aug 29, 2020
Visit site
Phone battery and CPU overheats in minutes while doing nothing and it has weird problem with audio

CPU and battery temperature (according to some apps) climb up to high temperatures in no time. Whole phone is super hot and laggy few minutes after starting it up.
It has probably something to do with jack and audio. When I try to play sounds from speaker, the phone just lags and start to heat up even more and is unusable. When I connect headphones, the audio plays but the phone start doing weird things like randomly going to silent mode and works only left headphone. It started randomly one day without any prior problems (expect the fact that sometimes my headphones put my phone on silent mode and the buttons for pause and play on them stopped working).

Its not software related because I did factory reset, uninstalled everything, disabled wifi and phone services and even installed new OS and the problem is the same every time.

I have Nexus 5X. Its 5 years old, but its still in great shape (or it was before the incident) so I would like to fix it rather than buying new phone.

elpatho

Aug 29, 2020
Visit site
It was badly worded sorry. By incident I meant that it happened one day out of nowhere. But I connected speakers to the phone and the phone restarted. Later that day it started to do the things I mentioned. That day I thought its nothing, but with issues with the audio I think it can be related somehow.

elpatho

Aug 29, 2020
Visit site
Yes, they were large speakers with amplifier. But I connected it through ordinary jack cable. Also I made a mistake and inserted the cable in the output hole instead input of the amplifier. But other person did the same thing and it didnt do anything to his phone. Or computer.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes, they were large speakers with amplifier. But I connected it through ordinary jack cable. Also I made a mistake and inserted the cable in the output hole instead input of the amplifier. But other person did the same thing and it didnt do anything to his phone. Or computer.
They probably got lucky , you didn't :(

elpatho

Aug 29, 2020
Visit site
But I dont understand how fried jack can do all the overheatings and problems with audio. It sounds like it started there but some more serious problem happened deeper because of that.

elpatho

Aug 29, 2020
Visit site
Yes, but I rather meant that if its solely the jacks fault or is it possible that something more is fried. I googled a little bit and this kind of problem is accompanied with the damaging of the logic board. So I would not be able to fix it by my self I dont have the right tools, but it is even worth it to pay for the repair from professional?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus 5X, like other LG phones of that era, was somewhat notorious for motherboard failures, so the accidental plugging in could've been coincidental.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes, but I rather meant that if its solely the jacks fault or is it possible that something more is fried. I googled a little bit and this kind of problem is accompanied with the damaging of the logic board. So I would not be able to fix it by my self I dont have the right tools, but it is even worth it to pay for the repair from professional?
You would need tools if you don't have them, then locate parts , try get a quote from local phone repair center see if its worth it