Phone (Doogee Y7) refuses calls when screen locked

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Kinda defeats the purpose of having a phone if it doesnt ring when someone calls. It just vibrates once and gives a missed call notification. The person on the other end gets a busy tone.

Why does this happen, it is very annoying? I went through all of the phone app options, connectivity options and sound options and everything looks fine to me. It's Android 8.1.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Really, it's my fault for being poor and only able to afford literally unusable products.

It certainly isn’t your fault. You paid good money, whatever the amount, and have the right to expect a product that works. An inexpensive phone will inevitably lack certain features, but it ought to work properly. My first phone was a Nokia Lumia 520, one of the cheapest you could buy, but it did its job well.

Last edited:

DaoNayt

Apr 17, 2021
Visit site
OK sometimes the call goes through. I am testing with my landline and an old dumbphone I have. It seems completely random, I can't find any logic to what it's doing.
I dont have another smartphone near me to test the SIM card, but I tried it in the dumbphone and it worked properly.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Do you have any power-saving modes turned on, or 3rd party battery-saver apps installed? If so, turn them off.

Also, go to the Battery Optimization menu in the system settings and make sure the Phone app isn't optimized. (It shouldn't be able to be optimized in the first place, since it's a core function of the device, but you never know if the manufacturers might have made a goof there.)

DaoNayt

Apr 17, 2021
Visit site
I have checked these things multiple times already. DND, optimizers, battery, 3rd party apps are gone after factory reset, etc.
My only idea is that DND somehow activates when screen is locked. But there's no option like that anywhere, that shouldn't happen.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, and does this only happen if the phone is face down? Some phones have a feature where if you have it lying face down, calls go direct to voicemail? (That's called "Flip to Shhh" on Pixel phones.)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I can think of at this time is that the phone is inappropriately going into a deep sleep when this happens, and it's not waking up enough when you get a call to respond properly. This would probably be a bug at the firmware level. I have no idea what kind of customer support Doogee has, but try contacting them: https://www.doogee.cc/page/support.html

DaoNayt

Apr 17, 2021
Visit site
Hey guys. Sorry I took so long, I was busy with other things and didnt use this phone.

Anyway, Doogee support gave me some wierd ROM update that was for a different model and also had a TEE key and google key issue. I asked repeatedly for a fix but they didnt reply. Their support is useless, they barely understand English, it takes them days to respond and they give out bad info. Do not buy Doogee phones, no matter how cheap they are.

My only other option is to flash a GSI image.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ah, what a pain.:-\ Doogee is known for its very inexpensive but decently spec'd phones -- but unfortunately, quality control and support are not their forte. Similar companies are Umidigi and Oukitel (to name a couple). Do yourself a favor and stick with the better known manufacturers -- good luck!

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Hey guys. Sorry I took so long, I was busy with other things and didnt use this phone.

Anyway, Doogee support gave me some wierd ROM update that was for a different model and also had a TEE key and google key issue. I asked repeatedly for a fix but they didnt reply. Their support is useless, they barely understand English, it takes them days to respond and they give out bad info. Do not buy Doogee phones, no matter how cheap they are.

My only other option is to flash a GSI image.

Doogee phones have always seemed a little dodgy to me, personally I wouldn't go any cheaper than Moto phones..... you can get crazy good clearance prices on brand new older generation phones unlocked, directly from their website. $150 bought my wife a brand new G6 a couple years ago that was over twice that when released. It's been one of the best phones she's ever had and she loves it..... and it's been 100% problem free, better than my $700 pixel 1. Stay away from the no name Chinese brands..... you don't have to be rich to get a good phone, you just have to shop a little ;)

B&H photo/video also has GREAT clearance prices on lots of quality name-brand, brand new factory sealed phones with factory warranties (they're authorized dealers), unlike the refurbished garbage sold as new on Amazon and eBay.

DaoNayt

Apr 17, 2021
Visit site
Yea it would be a great budget phone if it actually worked. I havent seen any models in this price range with a 1080 screen, even 6.5" models are all 720.

I tried installing a GSI, but its too complicated and I cant find a guide that would work for this model. I will ask for a replacement, maybe I just got a bad unit.

Im in Europe so I dont have these stores you mentioned. Most people here buy Xiaomi if they go budget, its a decent brand actually, I havent heard people complain much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007