Phone keeps dropping 64 GB SD Card on my Rooted Samsung S4

bl0ckch0pa

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
So for some reason after i bought my 64GB SD card and put it in my Samsung S3 it seemed to be working fine. But after a week for some reason it drops the SD card. Doesn't unmount but shows Total space 0.00B if i restart my phone it will show the SD card but only for a little while. I have tried Unmounting and re mounting and that just deletes everything and make the SD card bad and i have to Re Format. I have tried just about everything. Around this time i also rooted the phone. Not sure if that could be causing the issue. Please help direct me in the right direction. I'm new to the rooting scene. I hope i posted this in correct location..

My phone is a
Model# SPH-L710
Android 4.1.2
Kernel version 3.0.31-1130792
Build Number
JZ054K.L710VPBMD4
HARDWARE VERSION: L710.14

wess580

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
If its a sandisk its a known problem and the will happily exchange you sd card free of charge after you send the defective one the whole process took less than a week hope this helps

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AC Forums mobile app

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
1. I don't think the S3 understands NTFS at all. But 64GB cards come pre-formatted as exFAT, and the S3 doesn't play well with exFat. There are [free] utilities that will let you reformat is as FAT32 on a PC. If you haven't already, try that.

2. The Sandisk issue was resolved by Sandisk a long time ago. If these are recent cards, and actual Sandisk products, that shouldn't be the problem. But I think at least 50% of the SD cards sold on ebay are counterfeit, so there's no telling what you really have.

3. I had terrible issues with a 64GB card in my S3. I finally replaced it with a 32GB card, and the phone is much happier.

bl0ckch0pa

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
1. I don't think the S3 understands NTFS at all. But 64GB cards come pre-formatted as exFAT, and the S3 doesn't play well with exFat. There are [free] utilities that will let you reformat is as FAT32 on a PC. If you haven't already, try that.

2. The Sandisk issue was resolved by Sandisk a long time ago. If these are recent cards, and actual Sandisk products, that shouldn't be the problem. But I think at least 50% of the SD cards sold on ebay are counterfeit, so there's no telling what you really have.

3. I had terrible issues with a 64GB card in my S3. I finally replaced it with a 32GB card, and the phone is much happier.

Yes i had a 32GB SD card and had no issues but i was running out of room for my music etc. But this phone is supposed to support 64GB cards it should work. Just frustrated!

wess580

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I have one but it'll have to wait till I get off work cant remember the name

wess580

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
The program I used was 7zip I used this to format my seagate 1 tb external harddrive because the format that it was in would not read on my ps3 used it at works perfectly was able to copy all my 400+ movies to my 500gb ps? with no problem hope this help .... 7zip.org

stang5litre1

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
The problem with your solution is when you format a sd card to fat32 the max file size it will give you is 30gb as this is a windows default even with programs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prak2020