Phone signal level freezes full or empty, can't make calls

bc2k

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else seeing something like this? False max call signal level but phone function not working for incoming or outgoing calls?

My phone signal indicator - typically 1-3 "bars" at home - sometimes suddenly shows max signal, but it's lying and/or broken. When this happens outgoing call attempts time out with the error message shown in the screenshot, and incoming calls go to voicemail after six rings (on the caller's end). I've seen it stay locked up like this for at least several minutes, then the signal meter shows normal levels and calls work again.

Haven't found any way to "fix" it immediately, though it seems fine after I try and fail to make a call. Phone goes into this state intermittently throughout the day, and doesn't seem dependent on location; I watched it happen at the doc's office this afternoon, and that would have been a different cell tower.

Any ideas or suggestions for isolating and maybe even fixing the problem?

Thanks--

rtnapl

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I too got the error 97 shortly after setting up google voice on my phone. I wasn't able to make or receive phone calls. Took it into sprint where the tech basically unlinked/uninstalled GV from my phone and then did a factory reset. It worked, but now I'm hesitant to use GV again.

bc2k

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Update - this morning after continuing to see the max signal freeze effect, plus having trouble sending and receiving texts even after a "hard" reset, I switched off NFC (under Wireless & Networks -> More). Haven't had calling or text problems or seen the max signal freeze state since I did so.

And with Money Network slash Google Wallet still wonky and not working anyway... yeah. NFC is low on my list, for now at least.

Update - d'oh! Still hosed.

Last edited:

Buzzkill59

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem. However, I found that just because you turn on the wifi on your cell phone does not mean that you have full wifi access. I accessed the router control page for my router, ckicked in wireless and it asked for an access code. I looked in my phone settings, wifi and menu 3 dots. The access code was there. I entered it into my router page and now I have full functioning wifi. This fixed many of the issues such as Voice breaking up and incoming calls not ringing. I don't know if this will work for other phones but it definately helped mine. I have a Moto X! Forget tech support cause they are usually clueless and useless!