Phone speaker vs bluetooth earpiece?

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
What is the difference between using the Samsung galaxy S4 speaker in vehicle vs bluetooth earpiece?

If I have mounted the phone to the phone holder, when a call comes in I can press the [speaker] key and chat while I am driving correct?

Why do people need to use a bluetooth earpiece?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
It's a "to each their own" situation. I prefer the headset. Easy enough to put on and answer the call when I get one. Answering the call is as easy as pressing a physical button I can feel rather than finding the answer button on the screen, answering the call then finding the button to switch to speaker mode.

Why do you have a problem with people that choose to use a BT headset? Does it negatively impact you in some way?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you have a loud vehicle, are in loud traffic, have a hearing problem, prefer privacy, or just prefer a headset, the headset is better.

The problem with a headset is that psychologically we tend to concentrate on a voice in our ear, almost to the exclusion of everything else. That's why even people using headsets cause accidents - they're oblivious to the traffic around them. (If you're in an office, on an important call, and someone walks into your office, what do you do? Unless it's your boss, you hold up a hand or a finger to stop the person from talking, right? You're concentrating on the call.)

A speaker is more like talking to someone in the car - we still look around at the traffic. It's a bit safer.

(Talking while driving isn't safe at all, but that little bit of difference may mean the difference between stopping with your breaks, or by using the 10 foot steel beam hanging off the truck in front of you, with the big red flag on it, that you were too involved in the call to notice. Ouch!)

I try to not be involved in any non-emergency calls while driving - and if I have to call the police, I'm already pulling over to the side (to hop out and see if anyone's injured, so I can report the situation properly). (And I have decades of experience using two way radios while driving - I just prefer safety over convenience. I have a tin ear, so learning to play a harp will be a bit difficult.)

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
It's a "to each their own" situation. I prefer the headset. Easy enough to put on and answer the call when I get one. Answering the call is as easy as pressing a physical button I can feel rather than finding the answer button on the screen, answering the call then finding the button to switch to speaker mode.

Why do you have a problem with people that choose to use a BT headset? Does it negatively impact you in some way?

I am only curious about the pros and cons of using a BT headset, as I usually use the speaker mode. I was actually wondering if people use it because they think the look is cool. BT headset needs additional trouble to make sure it is charged.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
debbiewoodphillips