Phone Wipe and Google Sync

anon(3850)

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Simple question, if I have to wipe phone or change it out or just when I upgrade to a new one, will the contacts, calendar, gmail delete from server side(ie web client)? Or how does that work? Aside from turning off syncing is there a way to make it where if I delete a item on one side the other side doesnt take same action? Really not use to the whole sync thing.

Thanks for the help.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
If you wipe the phone back to factory default you will not lose any of your information stored within your Gmail account. The only way to not sync is if you simply turn syncing off of the Droid after the initial sync.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
if you wipe the phone, it has no effect on the cloud.

afaik, you can't break the sync short of just turning it off.

if you change phones or wipe, you will only lose data that isn't synced in the cloud (music, pictures, apps, etc)

anon(3850)

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I dont want to lose sync I am just more worried if I delete a contact by mistake when it sync that contact will be gone also. Is there a way to maybe prompt to delete on server side?

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
I dont want to lose sync I am just more worried if I delete a contact by mistake when it sync that contact will be gone also. Is there a way to maybe prompt to delete on server side?

Only way would be if you turned off sync. You can sync all of your information over initially and then turn it off in case you are worried if you delete something it won't effect your Gmail account.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
it's pretty hard to accidentally delete a contact anyways.

you could also make backups in csv form from your gmail address book on a computer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Martin_Markov