"photo download service" under "contact data" - how to stop?

sholzer

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
So.....finally figured out what service is killing my battery. BUT, not so sure what starts it after I kill it and how to disable. Can anyone provide any insight as to what this app is tied to and how to stop it from running/restarting?

Thanks!

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure what it is, or, what it's tied to, but, you can try to add it to some type of task kill list. I have an X2, and, it has stock Task Manager. In the Task Manager there is a Tab called Auto-End List. I can add apps to it and two minutes after the display times out, it kills the app. You could try that.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Or open the app itself, and goto Menu/settings. Or it may be hidden as "More" (gotta love that one)

Should be able to stop the synchs and notifications, etc.

Which device do you have?

sholzer

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
smart idea. does totally solve the issue but, will probably stop my battery from dying in a few hours. I have a droid pro, ill have to see if there is a way in the stock system to do so without ATK or something. would still like to figure it out though. thats sorta a band aid :)

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Stops "1" issue. But I suspect, there are other apps doing the exact same thing, so you will need to check them 1 at a time.

This is how it is with "carrier" branded phones. They pre-install bloatware, which is preset to do synchs and notifications, wether you want them or not.

This is why people root their devices, and install custom Roms.

Do the above, and battery life should increase to about 9 hrs a day, depending on device and usage (videos,games)

Also, check apps like Locations and such, that use Wifi. If it's on, and you don't use it, or in an area without Wifi, it sucks life also.

Now you are at 11hrs life!

Stay away from task killers or battery savers. They are useless unless you really don't wish to cure the issue or just don't have the time, and .... they also use resources. Learn Android, and learn the app settings.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Or open the app itself, and goto Menu/settings. Or it may be hidden as "More" (gotta love that one)

Should be able to stop the synchs and notifications, etc.

Which device do you have?

Well, maybe what Moscow suggested will work.

If not, like you said, make sure it's stock. Any Task Killer that you download is probably going to soak up battery as well, and, you might even see a decrease in battery life. Your stock one probably too, but, unless you are rooted, it's already running anyway. Haha.

But, yes, it's a band aid. If nothing, at least it's a fix until someone comes up with a better idea (if Moscow's idea doesn't work that is).

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
And do not look at battery usage, unless you understand what it means. I wish they would tell people how to read it, because most people...can't,

If you don;t need to check FB status updates, from people you really don't care about, set it to "never. Same as mail, or adjust the frequency to a longer interval. They will update when you open the app.

You see where I'm going....

You should, with proper management, be able to get a good days worth out of you battery. Heck, my record is over 3 days with my device while on vacation.

Learn your device,,,, you'll be a better person ;)

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
You should, with proper management, be able to get a good days worth out of you battery. Heck, my record is over 3 days with my device while on vacation.

Three days?! I assume you left it at the hotel... Hehehe. Seriously, I could never get that long out of my phone. I'm just glad that I work in an office and can charge it all day long. If I go out hiking and plan to use lots of camera and GPS type functionality, I have three backup batteries for my girlfriend and my own phone. We both have X2s, so, I figured three backup batteries ought to do it. :p

sholzer

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Its in running services thought not applications so I don't have options other then to "stop" I wish I knew about rooting but im not comfortable with all that jazz. All the regular like wifi and stuff is off :)

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Oh, I gotcha. I dunno that you'll be able to kill that then, at least not the way I mentioned with an Auto-End List. I just checked my services, and, I don't have it. I'd think it must have been added with an app you installed. If your battery usage only recently started to deteriorate, maybe it got installed alongside something you recently installed. Could always try and uninstall some of your recent apps and see if it goes away. I really have no idea what it could be for.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
You shouldn't stop services. Unless one of them looks odd.

Basically, with no apps running in the background, you should have only about 4 or 5 services running. Keyboard, Settings (as you have the app open), Weather clock if you have, Google, live wallpaper, and maybe maps.

If.... you have stopped synchs on all the rest.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Yea, I mean, they are all running for a reason, but, this one is causing a problem, at least that's what the OP said. But, the Service is just going to restart itself probably. I guess if you really wanted to find the offending app you could kill apps one at a time and keep checking your services to see if it goes away. If it goes away, you can uninstall the offending app, so long as you don't need it. If it's something you need, then, I don't know what to do.

Elite, how did you determine that it was this Service that was draining your battery?

sholzer

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
installed system panel light. its got a pie graph of current cpu %. i noticed it keeps bumping the 100% mark and also shows some data transfer. then ill go into the running processes, stop the photo uploader thing and boom....back to like 0% (super low hovers lowwww) so I am sure thats what it is.

Yea, I mean, they are all running for a reason, but, this one is causing a problem, at least that's what the OP said. But, the Service is just going to restart itself probably. I guess if you really wanted to find the offending app you could kill apps one at a time and keep checking your services to see if it goes away. If it goes away, you can uninstall the offending app, so long as you don't need it. If it's something you need, then, I don't know what to do.

Elite, how did you determine that it was this Service that was draining your battery?

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
installed system panel light. its got a pie graph of current cpu %. i noticed it keeps bumping the 100% mark and also shows some data transfer. then ill go into the running processes, stop the photo uploader thing and boom....back to like 0% (super low hovers lowwww) so I am sure thats what it is.

How long does it stay at that level for? I mean, if it was just like a minute or two, I couldn't see it being an issue, ya know? But, if it's taking up 100% CPU for a while I guess it's possible.

I guess unless anyone knows what that service is, you'll have to back out the apps one at a time until that Service disappears. Like I said, I don't have that Service, so, I would assume that it was added by one of your apps, but, maybe not.

I can't think of anything else to do. But, maybe someone will have some other ideas if you want to sit on it for a while and wait for suggestions.

sholzer

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
thanks for all the suggestions.....

lastly its a motorola thing, its like com.motorola.contacts.data. its a moto thing......

still thinking, still waiting, we shall c!

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey, no prob.

Strange, I have an X2, which is Motorola. So does my girlfriend. Neither of us have that Service running.

Haha, well, good luck!! And, hopefully someone else will have some input!!