Photos not sending/receiving Samsung s20 fe and other Samsugn devices

anon(8567512)

Mar 16, 2016
Visit site
Like some previous posts, I am not certain if this is the right or best place for this question, but haven't seen a better place anywhere else.

I am having this issue across our devices. I am using the Galaxy s20 fe. My son is on Galaxy a51 5g. My wife is on Galaxy s8+.

We are on AT&T as our provider.

This just started recently, but is happening to all of us, particularly trying to send messages back and forth each other. Pictures fail to send, or they send (after a long time) but fail to load on the other end. Sometimes it is just a slow process, but quite often the pictures don't send at all. The weirdest thing is that we can send to a mutual friend also on a Samsung phone without issue, and he can send to us without issue.

It isn't the local wifi because it happens when we are other places as well. I have tried turning wifi calling off as some places online have suggested, but this hasn't helped. Often I can't send messages with mobile data either.

I don't really know what else to try, but not being able to send pictures is a big deal.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1. You have to have mobile data enabled, not WiFi.

2. Check the APN in each phone. It should be:
Code:
Name          NXTGENPHONE
APN           NXTGENPHONE
MMSC          http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
MMS proxy     proxy.mobile.att.net
MMS port      80
MCC           310
MNC           410
APN type      default,mms,supl,hipri
APN protocol  IPv4

Anything not listed should be left blank.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You should be able to, but from other threads I've seen, AT&T seems to have issues where the wi-fi seems to interfere with MMS.

anon(8567512)

Mar 16, 2016
Visit site
1. You have to have mobile data enabled, not WiFi.

2. Check the APN in each phone. It should be:
Code:
Name          NXTGENPHONE
APN           NXTGENPHONE
MMSC          http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
MMS proxy     proxy.mobile.att.net
MMS port      80
MCC           310
MNC           410
APN type      default,mms,supl,hipri
APN protocol  IPv4

Anything not listed should be left blank.

I have entered this multiple times and saved it and then it just goes back to the default, which is similar, but not the same as what you have listed.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So that is my question: Samsung messages doesn't?

I mean, I know that texts are supposed to send over mobile data. But I have mobile data on on my phone. Why would being connected to wifi matter? Especially if wifi calling is disabled?
Google app has the ability to do this with their rcs most others need mobile data for mms

bobdob

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Switching to Google Messages works. But not sure if it is just a fluke. But don't want to use Google Messages either.

This makes me think it has something to do with Samsung Messages rolling out Google RCS support. Perhaps if some of you have this and some don't, there would be an interoperability problem. Look in your settings in Messages to see if you have "Advanced Messaging" enabled, and turn it off (for everyone) if so and see if it works better.

Leaving RCS out of the picture and going back to the wifi question. When you receive an MMS message, your phone receives a URL from which to download the actual message (text and/or attachments). I'm not sure if any carriers actually force that download to happen over mobile data when you're connected to wifi - that wouldn't make much sense - but I am pretty sure that AT&T does not, regardless of whether you have wifi calling enabled. It will download that message over whatever data connection you have. In my case, my (buggy) wifi router was sometimes blocking the connection to AT&T's servers as part of its (buggy) online threat protection feature. I had to disable randomized macs on my phone in order to be able to reliably turn off that feature on the router.

So yeah, you want to rule out issues caused by your wifi, which it sounds like you have.