Picking up 5x and Project fi

Vaas

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Been reading alot of mix stuff on the 5x. I am still going to go with it as I do not want a huge phone. Depending on what Nexus does later in the year, I will upgrade to a newer phone.

What do you like about the 5x? Also, any app recommendations.

I am also wondering who is using the 5x with Project Fi? How do you like it?

Thanks

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I like how light it is, the cameras, and the experience. I haven't had any lag issues at all, everything has been nice and zippy. I am not on project fi so I can't comment on that.

Posted via the Android Central App

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Been reading alot of mix stuff on the 5x. I am still going to go with it as I do not want a huge phone. Depending on what Nexus does later in the year, I will upgrade to a newer phone.

What do you like about the 5x? Also, any app recommendations.

I am also wondering who is using the 5x with Project Fi? How do you like it?

Thanks

I like the size--the behemoths of 2015 pushed me towards this device and I couldn't be happier. I've had no lag issues.

As for apps...my favorites are
  • Gmail and Inbox (used together)
  • Google App
  • Google Calendar
  • Calengoo - floating events is the bomb
  • 1Password
  • Accuweather
  • Android Pay
  • Expensify
  • Feedly
  • OI File Manager
  • Hangouts
  • Keep
  • Maps
  • Photos (LOVE autobackup)
  • Textra - best SMS/MMS app out there!
  • Weather Timeline (testing this app to see if it is better that AccuWeather)

As you can see, I pretty much live in the Google Cloud.

Sorry, not on Fi (yet). For now, Tmo is better for people who do a decent amount of international traveling.

ca_steve

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I have the 5X and am on Fi (moved from T Mobile and Samsung GS4). It's worked well for me. Monthly cost went from $55/mo w/o phone to $38/mo with the phone. It's great having Marshmallow and the monthly security updates and the phone works fine. Only nit I have is the low speakerphone volume and get around that with earbud in car and Oontz speaker on desk.

jc924

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Admittedly, I've only had my Nexus 5X and Project Fi for 10 day, but I am very satisfied, so far. I am coming from a Samsung S5 and wanted something around the same size, so I like the feel of it. The screen is very good and I am very happy with the camera (I don't take fancy pictures, so don't need fancy settings). I haven't experienced any noticeable lag yet. I really like the fingerprint scanner, although I still often hit the camera lens instead.

Project Fi is working great so far. I am in New York City, so, when I am not on my home wifi I have good coverage on Sprint or T-Mobile. The changeover is invisible and, so far, very reliable. I have the 1GB plan and in 10 days I have only used .14 GB.

anon(777192)

May 3, 2012
Visit site
I've been watching Project Fi right now on their coverage map my area is only 2g so I'll have to wait awhile longer before I jump to Project Fi
Hoping I can someday soon...

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I pre-ordered the 5X for use with Project Fi. I really like the weight. The phone is super light. You hardly notice it in your pocket. I haven't had any problems. I will say the camera can be laggy especially with HDR. The processor doesn't have the horsepower of the 6P. HDR photos can take a minute or two to process. Otherwise, it's been great. Project Fi coverage is the best I've had overall. Their international rates are superb.

Greatsrj23

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I haven't read much about Project Fi but know it's very affordable. The immediate area around my house just has 2G but the farther away I go I should have a lot of 4G. Thats just the data coverage right? Is there any way to know how well the cell coverage would be? Or would I have to check Sprint and T-Mobile? I'm not sure what carries Fi runs off of. Right now I have Verizon.

From what I just read it says it chooses the best network. Does that kill the battery more? If it's constantly looking for the best network I would imagine it would.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I tried it on my 6P for awhile .. it definitely is a neat concept. I would have stayed but I didn't simply due to having a better deal with T-Mobile directly (2 lines for $100 a month fully unlimited).

If you get good Sprint & T-Mobile coverage in the areas you travel then you will enjoy it.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
franzmorais