Pixel 2 / 2 XL Advertising - Where should Google Focus?

Sep 22, 2017
Visit site
Where do you guys think Google should focus their advertising efforts? Granted they are an advertising company. I say aim for the NFL because that's what helped the Microsoft Surface.

Last edited:

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
Easy. Banner ad on google.com. It's free and they'd likely reach more people than anything on television.

I watch hockey. I'd never see an NFL ad.

I guess that makes us even.
smile.png

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2017
Visit site
Easy. Banner ad on google.com. It's free and they'd likely reach more people than anything on television.

I ignore ALL ads on YouTube or anything in a browser. Want to royally pi$$ people off, put an ad in a browser. It's like me skipping all the commercials with my DirecTV DVR.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
First things first, Google has to learn to make a decent commercial, one that doesn't involve the Google search bar, an all white backdrop and cutesydumb pictures taken with the damn phone.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
A simple email announcement to everyone with a Play Store account.

After all, Pixels can be found under the tab "Devices".

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
As long as they do a lot of advertising, I think the content of the ads and focus of the ads is much more important to success than just the "where do they advertise?" question.

They need tout all the strengths and advantages the Pixel has. Show the excellent Google Lens abilities (removing the fence links at i/o was insane), tout water-resistance, talk about the (hopefully) great camera with "portrait mode" and unlimited full-res storage included. Just show all the cool features off, even if they are not unique. Show off split-screen, the Squeeze assistant launch and generally show off Android. It's Google's stage here to show these things in their image, so get to it Google.

If the phone is good, and the ad content is good, the venues for advertising will certainly follow.

Sep 22, 2017
Visit site
Well, there it is. You didn't like the idea but Google did it anyway.

Doesn't matter if they did it or not. The question is was their tactic effective? I'm not sure who takes the time to read ads on Google.com.

I'm a pilot for the military and I've never once heard anyone say at work, "Hey man, come look at this ad on Google.com." We have important stuff going on at work. Nobody is looking at ads. I've heard come look at this X-37 or a new fighter on YouTube though.

Last edited:

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
Doesn't matter if they did it or not. The question is was their tactic effective? I'm not sure who takes the time to read ads on Google.com.
If you admit to not being sure who reads ads on google.com, how do you know what is and isn't effective? Clearly Google decided it was a smart move to make, even if small.

We have important stuff going on at work.
Yet here we are at 1445 hours discussing pedantic stuff on a forum. LOL

Sep 22, 2017
Visit site
If you admit to not being sure who reads ads on google.com, how do you know what is and isn't effective?

Yet here we are at 1445 hours discussing pedantic stuff on a forum. LOL

Our IT sucks and I can't set Google as my primary search provider on one of the computers at work. So when I type in Google.com into the browser, I'm immediately trying to type in what I'm searching for next.

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
Our IT sucks and I can't set Google as my primary search provider on one of the computers at work. So when I type in Google.com into the browser, I'm immediately trying to type in what I'm searching for next.
...but that doesn't make their banner ad any less effective for the rest of the world. Google currently holds 78.78% of the desktop search engine market share and 96.76% of mobile. I have a hard time believing a text ad in both places is an ineffective tactic. ;)

Desktop: https://www.netmarketshare.com/search-engine-market-share.aspx?qprid=4&qpcustomd=0
Mobile: https://www.netmarketshare.com/search-engine-market-share.aspx?qprid=4&qpcustomd=1