Pixel 4 XL, ROG Phone II or something else

Chris5626

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm really struggling with what to pick as my next phone and would appreciate some thoughts.

I definitely want to stay Android.

I've had a number of Android and iPhones over the years. Most of my early Android phones were HTC flagships then I transitioned over to the Galaxy Note series.

My current phone is a Pixel 3XL which I'm really liking.

I like stock Android after using HTC Sense and TouchWiz was is for Samsung? Although I do use Nova launcher to make a few tweaks such as being able to have more icons across the bottom of the home screen.

I mainly use my phone for:
Messaging
Music and Audiobooks
Videos
Web browsing

Pixel 4 Thoughts

Firstly I'm still sad that the orange isn't available in 128gb in the UK. I like my Pixel 3XL a lot, I know the P3 nor the P4 competes in terms of specs and traditionally I've gone for the highest spec devices I can find so this is a departure for me.

I like the design of the Pixel 4, the matte finish and the frame look really nice but aside from that and the 90hz screen there isn't anything about it that's exciting me, what they've shown of the Soli stuff I doubt I'll use much, the improved Google Assistant looks a bit smarter but I don't use Assistant that often. Face unlock is a plus, I had an iPhone X and it was very convenient.

ASUS ROG Phone II

I don't really game on my phone, Plague Inc and Game Dev Story every now and then that's about it.

I do watch a lot of videos on my phone though so the bigger screen appeals. Whilst the design is love or hate I like the fact that it looks different. 120hz screen combined with the specs should make sure it's always nice and fast.

It doesn't have wireless charging which is a shame as I like the feature and have a few wireless charges, nice and convenient to be able to put my phone down at an angle I can see it and have it charging without worrying about cables. It's also not waterproof and it rains a lot in the UK and I walk to and from work daily.

The Pixel 4 is the 'safe' bet, it's basically more of the same.
The ROG Phone II wins in pretty much every measurable sense but seems like the riskier pick.

I just don't know! I'd appreciate thoughts on the subject :)

Last edited:

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I guess it really comes down to whether you want fast updates or not. I have The Pixel 4XL as an upgrade to a P2XL. I really enjoy using it. But the ROG 2 phone looks really great as well.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'd go with the ROG Phone 2 in your case, with a caveat. Do your research (the XDA forums are active for this phone) and make sure it's either VoLTE capable in your country, or that your GSM networks will last long enough. For us in the U.S, Asus is refusing to certify it for VoLTE (and Wi-Fi calling for that matter). There's only two GSM carriers here, and they are shutting those networks down soon, practically making it obsolete as a phone before it was released. I do know that VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling are working out of the box in other countries, so you may be lucky.

Now for some good news.

The phone not only has a massive battery, but Asus has taken steps to preserve it since it's sealed. You can obviously adjust performance based on your desires, but it also has a built in ability to modify the charge rate so you can overnight charge without as much stress on the battery. Not to mention that you'll also get almost as much usable capacity as the Note 10+ in the same amount of charging time, without reducing the overall life as much.

Speakers. In a word, awesome. I haven't heard them in person, but the specs on paper are insane for a smartphone, and all the users love them. If you like audio from your phone, it sounds like this may be the one to beat. It also has a headphone jack and you can customize the sound profiles for specific headphones.

You may also want to look out for the Ultimate edition that's scheduled for release later this year. It's has 1TB internal storage, plus a faster modem.

I also only suggest buying from authorized retailers for your region. In the U.S, there's tons of the China Tencent version being modified and imported, which is a lower spec than the global version and also has no warranty.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky