Pixel 5 Notifications via Bluetooth & Speaker

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have a Pixel 5 and I'm using a neckband bluetooth headset with it. If the bluetooth is paired and turned on, but not in my ear I miss text message notifications as they are not also played on the phone speaker simultaneously. Interestingly phone call rings seem ring BOTH the bluetooth AND the phone speaker. Is there a way around this issue? I understand it's been going on for some time across various iterations of Android but I seemed to have worked around it on my old Samsung S7 by disabling notifications for Google Assistant. This remedy does not seem to work for the Pixel 5. Any suggestions? Anyone know of any "sound channel" remapping programs that might work?

noexit2323

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for replying, Mustang7757! What I'm looking for is a more "foolproof" solution. I'll forget to "turn off" the bluetooth sooner or later and likely miss a valuable text message. What I want is a solution to route Notifications through the Ring Channel (speaker and bluetooth) if I choose.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for replying, Mustang7757! What I'm looking for is a more "foolproof" solution. I'll forget to "turn off" the bluetooth sooner or later and likely miss a valuable text message. What I want is a solution to route Notifications through the Ring Channel (speaker and bluetooth) if I choose.
Hi, welcome to AC!

Ill test this out little more on my pixel 5 and see if i can come up with something , in the meantime we can see if other members have a suggestion.

noexit2323

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
It looks like I have FINALLY RESOLVED this issue for myself with a seemingly easy work-around. This involves simply installing Tasker. It's a paid app, but, given that it solves such an annoying problem for myself, it's definitely worth the small price.

It seems that in Android 11 only Ringer channel sounds are allowed to be played on BOTH an attached Bluetooth AND the phone speaker simultaneously. To achieve "Notification" type sounds over both channels simultaneously first I copied (NOT MOVED) over the actual notifications sounds located in "Internal Storage\Notifications" into my Ringtones directory on my device: "Internal Storage\Ringtones". Now I can choose those same Notifications type Sounds as Ringtones.

Next I installed Tasker. Since I have a separate Notification Sound for my spouse's text messages, I created a separate Tasker Profile for her Notifications: "Received Text Any, %PNUM/Spouse" --> Task: Play Ringtone, Type: Ringer, Sound: Ding

Next, I created a Default Text Notification for all other contacts: "Received Text Any, %SMSRF/!Spouse" --> Task: Play Ringtone, Type: Ringer, Sound: GoodNews

Then I even created a Notification to let me know the laundry was done: Notification LG ThinQ --> Task: Play Ringtone, Type: Ringer, Sound: Piano

Hopefully this will help others as well.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It looks like I have FINALLY RESOLVED this issue for myself with a seemingly easy work-around. This involves simply installing Tasker. It's a paid app, but, given that it solves such an annoying problem for myself, it's definitely worth the small price.

It seems that in Android 11 only Ringer channel sounds are allowed to be played on BOTH an attached Bluetooth AND the phone speaker simultaneously. To achieve "Notification" type sounds over both channels simultaneously first I copied (NOT MOVED) over the actual notifications sounds located in "Internal Storage\Notifications" into my Ringtones directory on my device: "Internal Storage\Ringtones". Now I can choose those same Notifications type Sounds as Ringtones.

Next I installed Tasker. Since I have a separate Notification Sound for my spouse's text messages, I created a separate Tasker Profile for her Notifications: "Received Text Any, %PNUM/Spouse" --> Task: Play Ringtone, Type: Ringer, Sound: Ding

Next, I created a Default Text Notification for all other contacts: "Received Text Any, %SMSRF/!Spouse" --> Task: Play Ringtone, Type: Ringer, Sound: GoodNews

Then I even created a Notification to let me know the laundry was done: Notification LG ThinQ --> Task: Play Ringtone, Type: Ringer, Sound: Piano

Hopefully this will help others as well.
Thanks for updating your findings

Cl683

Sep 4, 2021
Visit site
I just got a pixel 5a and i am in the same situation. Im having trouble understanding your steps. I downloaded Tasker, could you provide step by step on how to set up the notifications to play out of bo? Thanks

beantownsouth

Dec 14, 2020
Visit site
Hi, welcome to AC!

Ill test this out little more on my pixel 5 and see if i can come up with something , in the meantime we can see if other members have a suggestion.

Mustang I swear this started just before or after the Android 12 update. My Plantronics is doing the same thing. Arggh! I would think that you should be able to make the phone notify over both devices if you so choose to. Basically, if you're not wearing the headset, and it's connected, the phone is in silenced mode. I'll have to look into Tasker. It might be the quickest fix for now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali